Starting GUI from Console setup

balanga

Patron
Something has gone badly wrong with an update and I'm trying get a usable system back up and running. I'm running truenas 12.2-RELEASE-p6 and have managed to login, start the network and mount the ZFS filesystem but I can't log into the GUI. Is there anything I can do to start it up from the Console setup? Well I don't see such an option anyway.

Apparently there is some python problem preventing middlewared from running and the system won't start properly. I've tried booting from an installation ISO but am unsure about what happens when you select install/upgrade and a device is shown to install on and you select it. Will an attempt be made to automatically install on that device, or will there be an option to upgrade/repair?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Is this a system that has been in production for a while?
Do you have a saved configuration that is sufficiently recent?
If no, do you remember if the system dataset was on your data pool? And is the answer that it was?
If yes, the best option will probably be to nuke your installation, install from scratch, import your data pool and then copy the last version of the configuration to your desktop and import via the web UI. Either the configuration you saved or the one you will find in the system dataset on your data pool.