SOLVED Update failed

balanga

Patron
Following an attempt to upgrade to the latest release version, I am unable to use the system remotely, although I managed to log in locally and found a file called 'update.failed':-

Code:
+ python3 -c 'import os; import middlewared; print(os.path.dirname(middlewared.__spec__.origin))'
+ cd /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared
+ alembic upgrade head
/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pyVmomi/Version.py:26: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if isLegacy or ns is "":
INFO  [alembic.runtime.migration] Context impl SQLiteImpl.
INFO  [alembic.runtime.migration] Will assume non-transactional DDL.
INFO  [alembic.runtime.migration] Running upgrade  -> c6be4fe10acc, Fix references
INFO  [alembic.runtime.migration] Running upgrade c6be4fe10acc -> e49fadd7285d, Fix booleans
INFO  [alembic.runtime.migration] Running upgrade e49fadd7285d -> 0d545b21e189, Drop Django tables

Any ideas on what I should do?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Sounds like you might want to install a fresh version and restore your last config backup.

balanga

Patron
Sounds like you might want to install a fresh version and restore your last config backup.
What should I expect to find on my boot device? And if it's completely FUBAR and I create a new one should I expect it to find the existing disks?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
What should I expect to find on my boot device? And if it's completely FUBAR and I create a new one should I expect it to find the existing disks?
If you have a config backup (or can find one under /var/db/system/config.... ) you will be able to restore all settings in your system like shares and services and your data pools should be imported as before.

There's no reason to expect any loss unless you were storing files on your boot pool (which is not easy to do).

balanga

Patron
So what do I need to create another boot device? the full ISO? I'm worried that I might destroy the existing data if I start with the installation ISO.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
So what do I need to create another boot device? the full ISO?

Just follow the steps and install to the same disk you were already using for your boot pool.

Once it's running, restore your config file from System | General.

I'm worried that I might destroy the existing data if I start with the installation ISO.
Make sure you don't select your data disks when installing (you can see the size of the disks in the list to install to), but otherwise there's no risk to your data.

balanga

Patron
I created a boot disk from the iso, and just to see what happened I tried booting up my ThinkPad X61 and the install screen came as shown in the guide, so I thought I'd try it on my NAS box, but here it just gets stuck. The TrueNAS logo comes up and it starts to boot, but then:-
can't find '/etc/hostid'
can't find 'openzfs'
can't find '/boot/entropy'
Start @ 0xffffffff80368000 ...

and then it sits there with a flashing cursor and does nothing (half an hour so far)...

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
and then it sits there with a flashing cursor and does nothing (half an hour so far)...
Are you sure you're booting from the new install stick? You may need to interrupt the BIOS boot process to force it not to boot from the old install.

balanga

Patron
Thanks for the pointer. I did eventually go into the BIOS and there were two options for the install stick, I think UEFI and legacy. After switching from one to the other, the system now boots up to the install screen and I can select Install/Upgrade and then I get a screen where I select my disk and it says select drives where TrueNAS should be installed. My concern is that after I have selected it, the Installation will commence, so what should I do to tell the system to just boot normally?

Redcoat

MVP
Thanks for the pointer. I did eventually go into the BIOS and there were two options for the install stick, I think UEFI and legacy. After switching from one to the other, the system now boots up to the install screen and I can select Install/Upgrade and then I get a screen where I select my disk and it says select drives where TrueNAS should be installed. My concern is that after I have selected it, the Installation will commence, so what should I do to tell the system to just boot normally?
You should have two drives for this installation procedure. One with the bootable version of the ISO - which apparently you have. The other drive is that upon which the TrueNAS operating system will be installed and which will become the boot drive for your TrueNAS box. This process does not involve your existing (or future) data drives. If you are worried about them anyway, disconnect them for this installation phase.
So now you select the second drive - that you wish to become your system's boot drive - and install TrueNAS on it. Once the install is finished, follow the prompts to remove the install boot drive and boot the system with the new TrueNAS OS drive.
Reconnect your data drives, then upload your saved config file or rebuild your data structure from scratch.

Last edited:

balanga

Patron
Many thanks for the explanation. I had originally installed FreeNAS about five years ago and never had any problem like this, and kind of assumed/hoped that this installation would fix my existing installation, so I've completely missed how this is supposed to work, so, again, thanks for the clarification.

balanga

Patron
After doing everything suggested, I am back to the original problem I had which I mentioned here:-

The system boots up, but no IP address is assigned, although if I login locally and run dhclient em0, one is assigned and I can then ping the system, but I can't use ssh, even though I was able to previously.

Trying to access the GUI brings up an error screen saying

Connecting to TrueNAS ... Make sure the
TrueNAS system is powered on and connected
to the network

The is clearly on and connected to the network, so the web server is running as it has produced that msg. When I connect to the system using the IP address assigned, the page shown in the address bar is automatically changed to

192.168.1.3/ui/sessions/signin

so I was wondering if there might be some path to a 'maintenance mode'

Back on the console I get a constant repeat of nginx errors saying 'Connection refused' from the system I'm trying to use to log into the GUI.

Where should I look to see why it isn't booting properly?

Redcoat

MVP
although if I login locally and run dhclient em0,
Please describe "login locally".

Maybe it's time for you to tell us something about your hardware and its setup.

balanga

Patron
Login locally means via the console. The hardware is nothing special, Lenovo ThinkCentre M91 with 12GB RAM and 2*2TB disks. It was working fine before the upgrade to 12.2.

I followed the advice provided here:-

but it didn't work for me.

Redcoat

MVP
I'm sure this is frustrating...

Have you cleared your browser cache?

Redcoat

MVP
I doubt it, but it should help ensure that the browser communicates correctly with the TrueNAS install. What do you have to lose?

balanga

Patron