TrueNAS experience and suggestions (GUI, console, logging)

Borja Marcos

Contributor
I have upgraded a couple of servers from FreeNAS to TrueNAS and so far it's working fine.

However, the GUI is in trouble. I have noticed several problems:

- The Reporting section is broken. When you select "reporting" the GUI kinda freezes (the graphs don't get drawn) until you change section twice. For example, if you select "System->General" and afterwards you select "System->NTP Servers" it gets fixed.

- The UI can get overwhelmed by excessive console output. In my case the server is used by several users for Time Machine and shared SMB storage and the logging makes the console unusable. I have noticed that when taking focus from the web browser while there is a lot of console logging makes the browser almost freeze and it becomes unusable. I have seen this behavior both on Safari and Firefox (Macos). Which leads to a suggestion below.

- Logging. Using standard SMB logging can be really useful (I am planning to feed it to a Graylog server so that I can check the users backup activity, detect possible problems, etc). However it completely overwhelms the console. And the tiny console on the bottom gets unusable with so many updates.

I would suggest to:

- Enable some console routing options. I would offer an option so that verbose services don't get to the console, at least for anything below warning or error. Having "info" level logging on Samba is very interesting. Having it dumped to the console is crazy ;)

- An option to disable the tiny console on the bottom so that a slow computer doesn't get overwhelmed by it.

Borja Marcos

Contributor
Exactly. Using syslog with Samba is very interesting, but it can render the console widget on the UI unusable.

Several years ago it took 5 minutes to control a ransomware incident. Once the customer called we could pinpoint the affected client PC (it was simply the top talker on the Samba logfile), disconnect it and rollback a snapshot of the typical shared folder, which had a hourly automated snapshot configured.

Feeding the Samba syslog to something like Graylog can make it much more useful.