SSH/SHELL cannot 'see' directory contents

Status
Not open for further replies.

NigelNoFriends

Explorer
This was in an attempt to change (chown) the permissions (777) of contents (-R) of my folderX folder. While I can change the folder itself, all attempts to change the permission of sub-folders/files had no effect.
I tried changing it through SSH and the Shell on FreeNAS GUI (both as root user), but no luck. Only luck I've had is changing the permission individually through the NFS share (i.e. on mac > 'get info' > unlock > change permission). The issue with this is there's hundreds of folders and files - need to be able to bulk change.

The strange thing (to me, being a newb) is that while I can see/change everything through the NSF share, I can't see anything within 'television' through SSH/Shell.

Any ideas?

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# cd /mnt/FreeNAS/media
[root@freenas /mnt/FreeNAS/media]# ls -l
total 36
-rwxrwxrwx 1 nobody nogroup 4096 May 31 17:11 ._untilted
drwxrwxrwx 5 nobody nogroup 7 Jun 11 21:46 untitled
drwxrwxrwx 2 nobody nogroup 2 May 31 03:45 folder
drwxrwxrwx 2 nobody nogroup 2 Jun 10 02:59 folderX
[root@freenas /mnt/FreeNAS/media]# cd folderX
[root@freenas /mnt/FreeNAS/media/folderX]# ls
[root@freenas /mnt/FreeNAS/media/folderX]# ls -l
total 0
[root@freenas /mnt/FreeNAS/media/folderX]#

^also not sure why it says '36' on line 4? Unless it's reporting a lot of hidden files/folders in 'media'?

Cheers

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
What type of dataset (windows or Unix)? (chmod won't work on a windows dataset)

What are your datasets and what are your NFS mount locations? (sometimes a sub-folder and a dataset have the same name and clobber each other).

NigelNoFriends

Explorer
What type of dataset (windows or Unix)? (chmod won't work on a windows dataset)

What are your datasets and what are your NFS mount locations? (sometimes a sub-folder and a dataset have the same name and clobber each other).
all UNIX datasets/permissions/shares.

Datasets are

• FreeNAS
    • media
      • folderY
      • folderX
    • jails
      • A
      • B
      • C
      • D
      • E
      • F
      • G
    • storage
    • timemachine

only one mountpoint/share - NFS: /mnt/FreeNAS/media (all directories = true)

Last edited:

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Does the size of your NFS folders align with your dataset usage?

I don't use NFS, but I don't believe that child datasets are mounted recursively. I think since you are sharing /mnt/FreeNAS/media via NFS, all folders are actually subfolders under that dataset. I don't think you see the subdatasets. So if you have a sub dataset called media/folderX and NFS wrote a subfolder called media/folderX they will clobber each other. You are seeing the subdataset, not the subfolder.

Try changing the zfs mountpoint for the media dataset to something like /mnt/FreeNAS/media-temp and then see if the contents are visible.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
@jgreco you deal with NFS stuff more than I do, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.