SSD's for Virtualization workload

DanDU

Cadet
Hello,

i have spent couple months now planning and testing a virtualization setup (ovirt + truenas scale) for smallish business use.

My setup consists of 6 x R730 Dell servers, 4 are for oVirt nodes and 2 are for Truenas Scale + 2nd Truenas Scale for replication and backup system.

Plans is to do:
2x400GB SSD, mirrored boot-pool
3x2 1TB SSD, striped mirrored ZVOL vmdata
+ 1TB NVMe SLOG
8x600GB SAS HDD RaidZ-2 Dataset, backups

Current testing setup is build with SSD's that we had laying around (Samsung Evo disks of some kind i think).

I am now looking to replace the temporary SSD's with better quality ones.

Originally i was planning on going with Intel D3-S4610 SSD 1TB disks as these are frequently recommended for enterprise use and fairly priced, but our supplier cant get these any more unfortunately, so i am now looking at WD Red SA500 1TB disks.
Now from what i can tell the only difference between these 2 disks is the TBW value, Intel having TBW of 900 and WD 600.

I did some digging on our current production VM setup to figure out current reads and writes on our servers and came up with:
~682 GB/day READS
~53 GB/day WRITES

Considering these numbers the WD Red should last over 30 years (600 TB / 0.05244140625 TB/day = 11,439.27 days ≈ 31.35 years), even if we double the numbers to account Truenas an Ovirt overhead which are not in the current read/write totals, they should last 15 years, at least thats what the maths say.

What do you guys think?

NugentS

MVP
Well if you double use to last 15 years - and expect these to last 5 years before replacement due to being too small / too old / too slow for your future requirements / needs then you should be golden.

People tend to underestimate how long SSD's will last.