SSD upgrade question

Herman Eggink

Explorer
All,

I need like a second opinion on the following: I have been a freenas user for many years moving to truenas core a while back. My system basically hosts:
- vacation photos and videos (lots of them)
- mp3 catalog
- timemachine backup (kids left the house so only wife left)
- a bunch of docker containers running all of my home automation (moved from raspberry pi, zwave, zigbee, domoticz, mqtt, ..)

Over the years, I have grown the disks I used whenever a disk crashed or needed replacing because of imminent faults. I run one main dataset consisting of 4 6TB disks (WD Reds by now) in a 2x2 mirrored config. System has 64GB mem and a Ryzen 5 CPU (1600) being fairly quiet (5-10% busy), except for the disks making noise (next to my desk). From what I can see, the disks write on avg 700-1000K data per sec so not a lot. Most of the writes (doing a find -mmin 5) are to dockered log files and kubernetes.

Now to my Q: Since the Samsung 870 QVO 8TB are getting to be really affordable, I am thinking of replacing al my wd Reds to make the system a lot quieter. These QVO's have a TBW of 2.88 PB and with 1MB/s, I think that would equate to a lifespan of 2880TB / 1MB * 31.5M sec/year (31.5TB/y) ie roughly 91 years so the ear would be minimal...

Is my math correct on that one? I'll probably not earn my money back on the reduced power consumption but hey...

Anyways, appreciate your insights!

Herman

NugentS

MVP
Don't expect too much from the QVO's - and don't stress them - no heavy loads. They slow down a lot once the on-drive cache runs out
[I really don't like them from experience - but they were not used appropriately]

But a WORM type load with minimal writes shouldn't be a major issue

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
We needed to use a couple of them for replacements, because they were the only SSDs available immediately. We underprovisioned them by a factor of 2. So 2 TB QVO for a broken 1 TB 860 Pro.

Keeping my fingers crossed.