AMD question & ECC - micro ATX

Aldimere

Cadet
Recently installed TrueNas on a new build, bare metal to test and am enjoying it over my Unraid setup. Hardware is mounted in a shallow 2U case on a micro ATX board and AMD APU. Before I store anything important on this NAS, how important is ECC on TrueNas scale? AMD is not very good at supporting ECC and especially so with APU and even when It does, it's not full support to my knowledge. I have looked around at possibly replacing the hardware with something comparable, but stocks for micro-atx with ECC support and IPMI seem slim pickings.

Current build:
OS Version:TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.2
Product: B550I AORUS PRO AX
Model: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics
Memory: 32 GiB DDR4 3200 CL16
10Gb Dual SFP PCI-e
500Gb M2 - boot
2 x 4TB Reds in mirror

Have a few more processors laying around collecting dust, but don't think any will help me with ECC support:
Ryzen 3 1200
Ryzen 7 2700X
Ryzen 3 2200G
i5 8600K
i9 9900K
Ryzen 7 5700G

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Before I store anything important on this NAS, how important is ECC on TrueNas scale?

As important as you deem your data. According to https://tedium.co/2021/01/06/error-correcting-code-memory-history/, ECC RAM has an error rate of 0.09% vs 0.6% for non-ECC RAM. Scale that out over your 32 GB, for example, and that's 29.5 MB potentially faulty bits with ECC vs 196.6 MB with non-ECC, assuming your RAM was fully occupied with data and TrueNAS ARC cache. With ECC, many of those faulty bits will be automatically corrected; no such correction will occur with non-ECC.

Arwen

MVP
2 x 4TB Reds in mirror
Make sure these are not SMR drives. SMR drives, (especially the WD Red ones), are unsuitable for ZFS.