.srt subtitles through DLNA not working (tested emby and minidlna)

Status
Not open for further replies.

asimov-solensan

Contributor
Hello pepole,

I have got this problem that is really frustrating. I'm getting familiar with jails and one of the first things I wanted to try is a DLNA server to share media among my devices.

I have got a lot of movies series with its corresponding srt file (same name, same folder) and they just work as expected when opened in a player from a CIFS share in my laptop.

But for TV and other devices I want to use a DLNA server, and I'm aware that srt subtitles support is not something new, but for some reason this don't work for me. Tested in a philips tv and android tablet with kodi. The viedeos show allright but subtitles aren't there, not even the option appears available. On the other hand files with integrated subtitles work as expected through DLNA, I can change audio track and enable/disable subtitles.

At first tried emby and even opened a threa in their forums thinkig this was a problem in the software. But then I created a new jail and manually installed minidlna with the same result.

Then somehow the problem must be related to something I'm doing wrong in freenas itself and can't understand what it is.

Any help is welcome.

asimov-solensan

Contributor
Can't know for sure. There is not much information regarding this matter. Even the threads you pinpoint are years old.

One second one talks about serviio. I read today about it, the trick is that this server embeds the srt file in the stream therefore is compatible with everything. I will try, it seems a good workaround.

Still just for curiosity I would like to hear about a player that works for sure with dlna subtitles just to confirm that indeed is a client problem.

asimov-solensan

Contributor
I will leave here for anyone interested.

After researching for a while it turns out that DLNA is standard but srt subtitles through this protocol not. Thet if you are lucky it seems that this may work for you but I have been unable to find a list of compatible devices/players with this feature.

As told in the post above best option is using serviio, which has an option to burn-in subtitles. I just tested it and seems to work pretty well.

It's not trivial to install serviio in a jail but there are good guides in this forum. Just hope thre was a plugin for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.