SRT in MiniDLNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

MataRatos

Cadet
Hello. New user to FreeNAS, installed it and plugins without a problem. The Wiki is very complete and self explanatory.

The only issue I'm having for now is with MiniDLNA, and I've already searched a lot about this, but almost everyone is having this problem directly with LG or Phillips TV. I want to play them in my PC, with XBMC. Alhough it can stream videos nicely, it doesn't play the subtitles (.srt). The subtitles are there, in the Media folder (can't see them in Windows explorer through Media Server, only if I go to the shared folder), with correct filename. If I play the files though the network share (NetBIOS) they play fine with the substitles. But if I play them though the MiniDLNA server, only the AVI file will play, the subtitles won't show.

If it helps, the server is behind a Linksys router runing Tomato.

Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
AFAIK there is only limited support for external subtitles in miniDLNA. The movie and subtitles must have the exact same name(minus extension of course), must be in the same folder as the movie, and your displaying device must support it.

My guess is if you have the first 2 then your device doesn't support it. Not surprising since every brand and every model of TV seems to have its own support or lack of support for certain features in DLNA.

MataRatos

Cadet
AFAIK there is only limited support for external subtitles in miniDLNA. The movie and subtitles must have the exact same name(minus extension of course), must be in the same folder as the movie, and your displaying device must support it.

My guess is if you have the first 2 then your device doesn't support it. Not surprising since every brand and every model of TV seems to have its own support or lack of support for certain features in DLNA.

I have all that, and I'm using XMBC for video, not TV (don't have any TV with that feature, not even with HD :) ) and still subtitles don't appear.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Are you sure the naming is compatible with XBMC? I use Plex myself, which is very similar. I don't use MiniDLNA at all though. I use a file share to my Plex Media Server.

MataRatos

Cadet
Thank you all for your answers.
One more quick question: is it supposed the .srt files appear in the MiniDLNA server?
They appear in the shared folder, normal. All files are supposed to appear. But in the media server that appears on my computers, I'm only able to see the AVI files, not the .srt. Is that the normal behaviour?

- - - Updated - - -

Are you sure the naming is compatible with XBMC? I use Plex myself, which is very similar. I don't use MiniDLNA at all though. I use a file share to my Plex Media Server.

I thought so, but after reading this wiki, I'll try to change them when I get home, and see if that works.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Video_library/Naming_files/Movies

bitsandnumbers

Dabbler
Re-Opening this (not so old) thread...

I have issues with subtitles and dlna too. I wonder if this is my soft, although every soft I tried also lacked the subtitles.

I hope someone has found a solution already. Right now I have to copy every subtitles in a local folder and open them manually with the remote video ^^

Could also be something lacking in the freenas minidlna plugin. Thought the freenas 9 minidlna plugin would work better, but no luck ^^

Someone happen to know where to contact the maintainer of the plugin ?

D

dlavigne

There aren't any configurable options for the FreeBSD port (which the PBI is based upon), so I don't think it's anything missing from the PBI. bugs.freenas.org would be how to report bugs on the PBI, but it would have to be a bug in the PBI itself (i.e. not the underlying application).

Dusan

Guru
I may be off-topic here, but are you sure you actually need MiniDLNA in your scenario? XBMC will happily play any media directly from a CIFS share and the subtitles work perfectly in that case. I use XBMC with FreeNAS myself and I did not find any reason to add MiniDLNA into the mix. I just point XBMC to a FreeNAS CIFS share and everything works. IMHO, MiniDLNA only makes sense if you have a device that does not support CIFS shares (such as a "smart" TV).

bitsandnumbers

Dabbler
I may be off-topic here, but are you sure you actually need MiniDLNA in your scenario? XBMC will happily play any media directly from a CIFS share and the subtitles work perfectly in that case. I use XBMC with FreeNAS myself and I did not find any reason to add MiniDLNA into the mix. I just point XBMC to a FreeNAS CIFS share and everything works. IMHO, MiniDLNA only makes sense if you have a device that does not support CIFS shares (such as a "smart" TV).

You know what ? Just tested that and it actually work ! I don't use xbmc, although I have nPlayer on my iPad that support CIFS and DLNA. Subtitles work with CIFS. So I think you're right, I don't need the miniDLNA plugin after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.