Space not freeing up after deleting files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blues Guy

Explorer
Hi!

I looked through all the threads on this topic that the search engine brought up (which are ... a lot). Still, no thread solves my problem.

The problem is that my Freenas tank is running full over time (it serves as a Video server), so I deleted a lot of files today (Through the Plex interface after remounting the datasets rw). Plex is running in a iocage jail, if that makes any difference. A SSH console on the host (not the jail) confirms that the files are gone.

I have disabled snapshots and deleted all the existing snapshots (except three small ones that belong to iocage, but they are just under 5MB).

Also, I don't use the Recycle bin in SMB sharing and a "find . |grep recycle" comes up empty.

Still, zfs list gives me 8.69TB of used space (same as before the deletion) while "du -d 1 -h -x" gives me 7.8TB (which is realistic).

I'm not using any replication.

My FreeNAS-Version is 11.1-U4 (the most current at the time of writing) and my specs are:
Intel Xeon E3-1270, 16GB ECC-Ram, 4*4TB WD Red, RAIDZ1

Any ideas what I could try?

Thank you!

Blues Guy

Explorer
A reboot did the trick. Does anyone know why?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Actual deletion is run asynchronously, since it is a slow process and nobody actually benefits from it blocking other I/O.

On pool import (and thus on boot), the deletion process has to finish before the pool finished importing.

Status
Not open for further replies.