SOLVED Something disappeared

Phil Demand

Dabbler
Hello-
Whilst trying to increase the amount of storage in my pool, something went wrong and I don't want to proceed until I know what's up.
I bought 4 4tb WD reds (CMR) to replace 4 1tb drives. So I proceed to pools -> status and I put ada0 offline. Shutdown. Replace ada0 with a new drive. Bootup. Notification - "CRITICAL pool state is offline. None." No trace of my old pool is listed in pools. But perhaps a bigger issue, in drives, it sees my new drive, but only 2 of my 3 old ones. I put the old ada0 back in (in other words, going back to the original 4 drives), and in drives, it sees the ada0 (the original one) and still only 2 of the other three. What happened?

supermicro x10sff-l
16gb ecc
i3
freenas 11.3

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
From your description, it sounds like your pool was constructed as a RAIDZ1. What likely happened is your system renumbered the devices, so you removed what you thought was ada0, but was likely ada3, thus removing 2 drives out of the pool, so that there weren't enough pool members to reconstruct the pool on the next boot. You can't go by the device IDs, but by the drive serial numbers. The missing device is likely the offlined drive, your original ada0.

Phil Demand

Dabbler
Thanks. So what should I do now? Like I said, I have the original 4 back in, but in "disks" it only sees 3 of the 4. ada0, ada1, ada2. The serial numbers of those three match what they were before I started this. ada3 is missing. It's plugged in, I checked the connections.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Look under your Storage->Pools and then click the gear to find the offline member. Try bringing it back online to restore your pool to the original state. Then, under Storage->Disks note the serial numbers of all the drives.

Start over, and make sure the serial numbers match at all steps of the replacement, so that you're removing the correct drive. Drive identifiers aren't guaranteed to be stable.

Yorick

Wizard
Also try camcontrol devlist and see the device is there. It's possible this is layer 1: Loose cable, missing power, etc, while you were in there swapping disks.