VOL1 status is degraded

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayWC

Cadet
I am currently running 9.2.1.5 release x64 with two 2TB drives ,RAID 1, and 8 gigs of RAM. I have the alert " The volume VOL1 (ZFS) status is DEGRADED". As I understand this means one of my drives is bad and from reading postings in the forum and the guide that in order to replace the drive I must first set the bad drive "offline". The problem is when I look at the drives from the view disks tab only one shows up. I am assuming that both drives are supposed to show as ada0 and ada1. If ada0 fails and disappears does FreeNAS automatically change ada1 to ada0? How can I be sure I will remove the right drive? If I can't take the bad drive offline what will happen when I replace it?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Because you aren't supposed to be at the "view disks" tab. Follow the manual and it does work. Trust me.

sfcredfox

Patron
Re-read that section, it should tell you something about selecting the volume, not the disks as Cyber mentioned. Once you select the volume, you'll see the button to select for viewing the disks that make it up. You can offline the disk from there.

RayWC

Cadet
I figured it out. FreeNas automatically removed the drive. I didn't buy the replacement drive yet, I will have it tomorrow and time permitting I will install it also. Hopefully all will go smoothly. I have a RAID 1 setup and FreeNas has removed the bad drive, If the bad drive was ada0 and was removed by FreeNas would it now show ada1 as ada0?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.