Some Questions regarding TrueNAS SCALE

thomas-hn

Explorer
As far as I know TrueNAS SCALE should not be used in productive environments so far, but what are the reasons?
I assume the underlying ZFS stuff is in a mature state. Does the system itself has some possible stability issues? Is it about the HBA drivers which are not as mature as on FreeBSD? Could this risk the integrity of the stored data?
What problems are expected with TrueNAS SCALE in this early software stage?

Currently, I'm thinking about to use SCALE (mainly because of the Linux-based virtualization features compared to CORE) for my private server to store all my data. Meaning, the data integrity has to be ensured, but if in worst case the system has a downtime of 1-2 days, it is not a problem. Would SCALE be an option for me?

Is the configuration/maintenance of SCALE much more complex compared to CORE?

Is it possible to use a configuration backup of SCALE in CORE and vice versa? Are the backup format (Config DB?) compatible with each other?

And last, but not least, do CORE and SCALE use the same OpenZFS "versions", so that pools could be migrated without any ZFS feature issues (assuming both systems are up-to-date) between both systems?

c77dk

Patron
As far as I know TrueNAS SCALE should not be used in productive environments so far, but what are the reasons?
I assume the underlying ZFS stuff is in a mature state. Does the system itself has some possible stability issues? Is it about the HBA drivers which are not as mature as on FreeBSD? Could this risk the integrity of the stored data?

Integrity should be fine - but shares and other "non-zfs" bits can still be buggy.

What problems are expected with TrueNAS SCALE in this early software stage?

During -BETA stage a feature-flag was introduced into ZFS, which was removed again, and - if activated - required the recreation of pool. Now we're at RC, I wouldn't expect such thing anymore.

Currently, I'm thinking about to use SCALE (mainly because of the Linux-based virtualization features compared to CORE) for my private server to store all my data. Meaning, the data integrity has to be ensured, but if in worst case the system has a downtime of 1-2 days, it is not a problem. Would SCALE be an option for me?
Sounds like what I'm using my own system for - I actually ended up killing of my Unifi VM, since Truecharts makes it so easy to deploy a container with it in :smile:

Is the configuration/maintenance of SCALE much more complex compared to CORE?

About same complexity - things might just be at other places.

Is it possible to use a configuration backup of SCALE in CORE and vice versa? Are the backup format (Config DB?) compatible with each other?

1: no, 2: CORE to SCALE sidegrade is supported during install from ISO, but not the other way.

And last, but not least, do CORE and SCALE use the same OpenZFS "versions", so that pools could be migrated without any ZFS feature issues (assuming both systems are up-to-date) between both systems?

SCALE is the newer one - so a pool created in SCALE wont import in CORE due to featureflags. CORE pool can easily be imported in SCALE.

thomas-hn

Explorer
SCALE is the newer one - so a pool created in SCALE wont import in CORE due to featureflags. CORE pool can easily be imported in SCALE.
Is it planned that both will use the same feature flags in future? Or is it possible to disable specific features on SCALE from the beginning on? If I decide to use SCALE I would really prefer to keep the backup option of going back to CORE without copying all the data.

c77dk

Patron