Some disks are not shown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kneitzel

Cadet
Hi,

I am quite new to FreeNAS and just did an installation of FreeNAS on my system:
Mac Mini with i7 / 16GB RAM, internal 60GB SSD / 500GB SSD and external case (usb3) with currently 3 disks (2* 1TB, 1* 8TB).

When I installed FreeNAS, the main install was done on the 60GB SSD and I added the 500GB SSD inside the Volume "System" which is used for jails by default.

So I have the following disks inside my system:
1) ada0 - 500GB SSD -> /mnt/System
2) ada1 - 60 GB SSD -> FreeNAS install
3) da0 - 1 TB -> /mnt/Data
4) da1 - 1 TB -> /mnt/Data
5) da2 - 8TB -> not used - just added to the system.

When I go to "Storage" and click "Show Disks", I only see:
ada0
da2

Before I added the 8TB disk, it showed me:
ada0
da1

So da0 was missing from the start and now da0 and da1 are not shown.

Is there anything that I am doing wrong? I would expect that all my disks are shown.

The system is running fine, the zpools are up and running as expected. (e.g. zpool list, zpool status commands on command line) So I am really just wondering about the data shown inside the web gui.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

With kind regards,

Konrad

danb35

Hall of Famer
Mac Mini with i7 / 16GB RAM, internal 60GB SSD / 500GB SSD and external case (usb3) with currently 3 disks (2* 1TB, 1* 8TB).
None of this is anything like recommended hardware for FreeNAS, but the USB external disk enclosure is almost certainly your problem.

kneitzel

Cadet
Thank you for your quick reply.

I know that it is not the perfect system for a NAS but right now it is the only system I have to play around. If all tests are successful, then my plan is to get FreeNAS up and running on a DELL T3500 (Xeon W350, 24GB RAM) with 5 internal harddisks (currently running Windows Server 2012R2). That system is of course quite old but at least did a great job in my small network in the last years.

So this is a behaviour that is not the expected one and I should get a full list of disks there (e.g. full list like with "geom disk list")?

And I am also wondering: Just not showing the list of disks seems not to be a typical problem. I of course checked the syslog carefully. The system works quite fine and I am able to test the services that I need (SMB shares, Plex and Resilio). And the system even behaves fine redarding exceptional situations (I did some tests to see how the system reacts to a connection loss to the external harddisks and such things that are easy to test).

With kind regards,

Konrad

danb35

Hall of Famer
So this is a behaviour that is not the expected one and I should get a full list of disks there (e.g. full list like with "geom disk list")?
I'm not familiar with all the relevant commands, but camcontrol devlist usually does the job.

kneitzel

Cadet
Hi,

yes, that command also shows the correct list (Maybe my description wasn't 100 clear. Only the Web GUI just shows me 2 disks. All commands on the commandline show the correct data.)

So for example the given command show correctly:
Code:
[root@freenas /mnt/DataNew]# camcontrol devlist
<Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB EMT01B6Q>  at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,ada0)
<SanDisk SSD P4 64GB SSD 8.13>  at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,ada1)
<SAMSUNG HD103SI 0X03>  at scbus4 target 0 lun 0 (pass2,da0)
<Hitachi HUA721010KLA330 0X03>  at scbus4 target 0 lun 1 (pass3,da1)
<WDC WD80 EFZX-68UW8N0 0X03>  at scbus4 target 0 lun 2 (pass4,da2)
<WDC WD80 EFZX-68UW8N0 0X03>  at scbus4 target 0 lun 3 (pass5,da3)
[root@freenas /mnt/DataNew]#

In my eyes it is not a real problem and I am willing to wait to see how FreeNAS will behave on my DELL later (latest at the weekend I will set it up). Maybe the problem will be gone then.

I do not want to add another point to this discussion - just as additional information just to give some test results of my current tests of FreeNAS on this not optimal hardware (No help required here, there was enough posts on the forum regarding this topic!): after adding a 4th hd (8TB disk for more tests) I got an error regarding multipath on disk1 after inserting the disk which I solved by removing multipath from disk1 again:
Code:
[root@freenas /mnt/System/Home/konrad]# gmultipath list
Geom name: disk1
Type: AUTOMATIC
Mode: Active/Passive
UUID: 744a78cf-9ec6-11e7-bec3-0c4de999b57e
State: DEGRADED
Providers:
1. Name: multipath/disk1
  Mediasize: 1000204885504 (932G)
  Sectorsize: 512
  Stripesize: 4096
  Stripeoffset: 0
  Mode: r0w0e0
  State: DEGRADED
Consumers:
1. Name: da0
  Mediasize: 1000204886016 (932G)
  Sectorsize: 512
  Stripesize: 4096
  Stripeoffset: 0
  Mode: r1w1e1
  State: ACTIVE

[root@freenas /mnt/System/Home/konrad]# gmultipath destroy disk1
[root@freenas /mnt/System/Home/konrad]# gmultipath list
[root@freenas /mnt/System/Home/konrad]#

The da0 drive was part of my Data Volume which had the 2 1TB disks (Stripe of da0 and da1) which I detached without marking the drives as new (I tested detaching / importing back / detaching again ...).

With kind regards,

Konrad

Last edited by a moderator:

kneitzel

Cadet
Just as an update to this thread:

Last weekend, I reinstalled my DELL with FreeNAS and moved the disks with the Volumes to my new FreeNAS installation.

The problem regarding the disk list didn't occur on this system so it is quite likely that it has something to do with the non optimal hardware setup as danb35 already suggested.

With the more proper hardware, the system runs like a charm and I was unable to find any issues with my server right now.

Thank you for the assistance with this issue which could be closed now.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Status
Not open for further replies.