Scrubbing multiple zpools at once?

merlin480

Cadet
Sorry, I am sure this is a dumb question which is why I cannot find anyone who has asked it in the past. I am very new to FreeNAS and I am building my new machine to run it (in signature) but I was wondering if it would be possible to run scrub on two zpools at the same time and whether there is any danger in doing so? I only have 32+8Tb right now but I intend to increase it in the future since I have additional disks in an aging Synology box. Thank you in advance.
  • Motherboard: Asus TUF B450M-Pro Gaming
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
  • RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Timetec Hynix IC DDR4 2400MHz PC4-19200 Unbuffered ECC 1.2V CL17 1Rx8 Single Rank
  • SSD: Samsung 970 EVO SSD 500GB
  • Hard drives: 8 x 4Tb Western Digital Red (WD40EFRX), 1 x 8Tb Seagate
  • SATA hub: SAS9211-8I 8PORT Int 6GB Sata+SAS Pcie 2.0
  • Network: Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I don't believe there is any real thing that stops you from doing this. You'll just be making all the pools slow at once, and doing a ton of IO. If you have a storage controller bottleneck, I could see that doing two scrubs at once could be slower than doing them back to back, but never personally tested it ;)

merlin480

Cadet
Thank you for the quick response Kris. Knowing that there is no major danger aside from a slow down, I will test it out and compare.