[SOLVED] Unable to shutdown - FreeNAS shutdown command leaves NAS running

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrevorX

Explorer
Whenever I need to shut down the NAS (had to do so a few times over the past month due to electrical storms - if I don't absolutely need it at such a time I shut it down and unplug it) I log into the web admin panel and select 'Shutdown'. This used to work fine, but sometime in the past three or four months it stopped working correctly - a bit hard to tell precisely when because I don't shut it off that often. When I confirm the shutdown it tells me it's doing so, and after a few seconds it becomes unreachable on the network, but it never actually shuts down - I have to physically push the power button once I've left it for a while (usually 20 mins to an hour). This is on an Asrock C2750D4i with a Seasonic SS-660XP2 F3 PSU. I had a Linux boot environment running on there yesterday and that shut down perfectly.

Any ideas?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

TrevorX

Explorer
No problem, happens to the best of us ;-)

FreeNAS version FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011. As I wrote in the OP, hardware is Asrock C2750D4i version 2.80 (latest) firmware with a Seasonic SS-660XP2 F3 PSU. This has been happening for a while though, so it has been consistent across multiple FreeNAS updates (although I couldn't tell you precisely when it started, because I'm simply not sure myself). If you want further details, my build thread is here.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
K, had some coffee and got some other work out of the way...

So, normally I would just suggest checking the BIOS to see if anything changed as far a power (Power Settings, Power Button, Sleep, Hibernate, etc). But, since you mentioned that a Linux environment shut down fine that kinda shoots that down.

Some ideas/thoughts (just me spit-balling):
  1. Wondering if you are running any jails/vms; that may be preventing a full shutdown?
    • Apologies if this was stated and I missed it...
  2. What would happen if you installed a fresh copy of FreeNas (with your current drives detached) on another USB Stick or Drive?
    • Would it shutdown properly then?

TrevorX

Explorer
Some ideas/thoughts (just me spit-balling):
  1. Wondering if you are running any jails/vms; that may be preventing a full shutdown?
  1. Only jail I have running is PLEX, no VMs.
2. What would happen if you installed a fresh copy of FreeNas (with your current drives detached) on another USB Stick or Drive?
Worth a shot I think :smile: Will have to schedule in some time to try that out.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you go to the CLI and type "shutdown -p now", what happens on the local console. Does "anything" happen?

There's some stuff that should start popping up like services shutting down, PIDs being shutdown, etc. Is any of that actually happening?

TrevorX

Explorer
I connected a monitor and watched the output during shutdown and it hung on the line 'acpi0: powering system off'. Plugging that into Google showed me this thread. Interestingly that user had exactly the same board, seeing exactly the same error. I checked and sure enough that setting (PCIE devices power on) was incorrect. I can only assume it was changed some time - BIOS settings get wiped when flashing firmware and I did do that sometime last year, so I might have mis-configured that setting when reconfiguring.

Anyway, problem *SOLVED*. Thanks again for your help CJ!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Glad you figured it out. I figured it was going to be a problem with acpi. :P

TrevorX

Explorer
Glad you figured it out. I figured it was going to be a problem with acpi. :p
Now that I have the IPMI remote console working again it will make resolving issues much easier - took flashing to a new firmware build and a factory reset to get it running :-/

Thanks again for your help :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.