(Solved, the lazy way) Deluge plugin not accessing dataset correctly (FreeNAS 11.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Hitman

Dabbler
Hello,

I have got all plugins to work so far except for Deluge. I create a mount point between an unused folder within my dataset and the Downloads folder it has by default in the UI. The same thing works within Plex but in Deluge, if I add a torrent, it starts for like a second at 50 kb/s then goes down to 0, signaling that it's only using the cache and not writing anywhere.

However the interface correctly states the free space of the dataset. So it "can see" it but it can't write to it.

What other settings do I need to configure for the jail? User is just like in the other plugins "root", and everything works fine with them, but do I need to select the user owning the dataset?

[EDIT: Also, out of curiosity, qBittorrent doesn't work at all, not even accessible. Is that a known issue?]

Screenshots below:

Capture2.PNG

(removed the other two, they were showing my ddns address, oops)

Last edited:

JTBTek

Dabbler
I had the same issue with transmission, it ended up being a permissions error.

This is how I had to setup my permission:

Dataset - Owner = media(8675309) ; Group = media(8675309) ; Allow read, write, and execute for owner and group.

In the Deluge jail - determine the user that deluge is running as (this can be done easily using the " top " command from the jail shell). Also need the UID and GID used for that user ( use " id {username} ")

For example we'll say the username is deluge and the UID is 203 and GID is 203

From jail shell, create a new group called media with GID 8675309 with this command " pw groupadd -n media -g 8675309 "

From jail shell, add deluge to the media group with this command " pw groupmod media -m deluge "

From the FreeNAS GUI create a new group called " deluge " with GID 203

From the FreeNAS GUI create a new user called " deluge " with UID 203 ( be sure to uncheck the 'New Primary Group'). Assign this user to 'Primary Group' deluge. and 'Auxiliary Group' media.

Restart FreeNAS

PS. All these steps can be adjusted to any plugin. Since running everything as root is not a very good choice from a security stand point.

The_Hitman

Dabbler
Thanks. Unfortunately I'm stuck, I still don't quite get around these OS's.

So I assigned my dataset to owner media and group media. Then I went to my custom user for SMB and Plex called "NAS" and assigned media as a secondary group to it, so I still have access to the dataset.

When I enter the jail via shell the top command shows something I cannot understand, the last PID in the top left keeps increasing and the rest say processes with root, nobody and dhcp. What to do from here?

BQboOG.jpg

JTBTek

Dabbler
Did you use the deluge plugin or did you install deluge manually in a jail?

The_Hitman

Dabbler
The plugin.

Wanted to do it easily from the start, not a lot of things I need to do with this PC :)

JTBTek

Dabbler
It appears deluge is running with the python2.7 command under the user nobody. I don't think the steps I provided will be helpful, as the nobody user isn't really meant to be part of any other group other than nogroup. Running daemon as nobody is not a much used process anymore. Might want to consider transmission. I wouldn't suggest qbittorrent as it runs as root, and setting up a kill switch is a little more difficult.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck.

The_Hitman

Dabbler
No problems man, thank you anyways. I'm part of a minority here because I need easy solutions to an OS destined for, well, still for servers. :)

I'm just a casual used looking for an OS lighter than conventional Windows/Linux distros, and that can do torrent+mediaserver+SMB+ftp+maybe a webserver. FreeNAS is the one for me and I'll have to learn it, it's all a lesson, you helped me with that :)

qBittorrent was my client of choice for a long time, I won't care if it runs as root or not as I don't treat it as that huge of a risk in my case. But it just refuses to connect to the WebUI with qBittorrent... I'll need to probably make a new thread for that .

The_Hitman

Dabbler
All right, I just needed to give the dataset write access to others recursively, this allows the jail write access. I also added secondary group wheel to the user owning the dataset. BOTH ARE UNSAFE from what I've read, I know, but this was the lazy way of getting correct permissions.

Unfortunately deluge has pretty crap speeds, never going over 50 MB/s (my internet is gigabit and other clients in other OS's did 110 MB/s)

So I'll have to find myself another client that works well - and easy - just like this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.