Setting Permissions for Plugin (Deluge unable to write)

Hi all,

This clearly isn't quite within my wheelhouse and I'm getting so confused. I've had my NAS going as a Plex server for nearly 6 months and all's been fine but I've always been having trouble downloading torrents on my Windows machine to the NAS. Often it works fine but it very frequently has network I/O errors and it's getting really annoying so I figured I'd get around to trying to do what I meant to do a while ago which was get a torrent client (and a link downloader actually but one step at a time) installed on the NAS itself.

The problem I'm running into is that Deluge will download to its own folders fine but if I set it to download to a folder in its mount point (where I've been downloading everything to up until now, sorted into proper categories), it just stops and won't do anything. I tried Transmission and the same issue. I've seen a lot of people having the same problem and it's to do with not having the proper permissions. The problem is I don't really know what I'm looking at. I can't actually tell which user is running deluge. It could be a user called deluge or it could be root. If I look up the userid of deluge, it comes out as 8675309 which is the media userid. According to one forum post I read, that's right though I was supposed to have a group called media in the deluge jail so I changed the name of the group deluge to media as you can see in the screenshot.

I've tried the dataset owner and group as both media/media and root/wheel but neither worked. The thing is it can download to the dataset fine if it creates its own folder (or presumably straight to the folder itself though I haven't tried) but then I can't copy anything to that folder. I have my own user which I used to log into the NAS on my Windows machine so I'm guessing that's where the problem lies as anything it creates I can't do anything with and anything I create it can't do anything with. I tried adding that user to the media group but that didn't work either.

I've probably set this up completely incorrectly and I'd really appreciate some help here. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• deluge uid.png
    deluge uid.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 239
  • deluge users.png
    deluge users.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 230
  • media user info.png
    media user info.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 223