[Solved] I'm having IP problems clean install

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAJFAJV

Dabbler
So I installed the beta version of freenas 11.2-BETA2 today and it installed everything seemed fine but when I try to connect using the web interface it tells me to go check my connection.

I have tried assigning a static IP (serveral actually) using the console I believe I tried 108/24 and 5/24 which I can see are assigned to the freenas from my router interface. but it just doesn't seem to care about it. I tried two different ports and three ethernet cables, and some reboots :)
I don't know what to do next.

/regards helplessdudewithnoconnection

I forgot to add that ifconfig says that status is active

jro

iXsystems
iXsystems
Have you tried configuring DHCP on the FreeNAS console? If you go into the shell on the FreeNAS console, can you ping the gateway? Can you ping the FreeNAS machine from any other system on your network?

artlessknave

Wizard
I've noticed something similar when updating to nightlies on test VM, and have been trying on and off to figure out what it is.
freenas installs (or updates) as normal, but does not present the "you can find the webui at xxxx" message.
ifconfig shows an ip, can ping gateway, can ping the IP, but there is no sign of a webUI that I can find.

HAJFAJV

Dabbler
Since last time:

• I can login using the xxx.xxx.x.x/legacy instead of /ui which is fine
  • However I cannot seem to connect to the outside web when using the legacy interface.
  • From my android phone I can using the new ui see services and plugins which I cannot from the legacy ui
  • If I try to install plugins from my phone it doesn't connect however and exits after "some time".
  • I can use either DHCP or static ip right now I'm using the static since I got nowhere with DHCP.
But it still doesn't work, help is much appreciated!

https://ibb.co/b5YFkp <- current network config
a>

b5YFkp

Redcoat

MVP
Perhaps you should provide your full hardware specs, especially the motherboard.

It appears you are using a Realtek NIC - they have very bad profile around here because of poor performance attributable to bad FreeBSD drivers. If you have the possibility to try an Intel NIC it would be a good diagnostic exercise.

You say that you can't connect to the web from the legacy GUI - I assume that you cannot so far connect from the new UI also, correct?

HAJFAJV

Dabbler
Perhaps you should provide your full hardware specs, especially the motherboard.

It appears you are using a Realtek NIC - they have very bad profile around here because of poor performance attributable to bad FreeBSD drivers. If you have the possibility to try an Intel NIC it would be a good diagnostic exercise.

You say that you can't connect to the web from the legacy GUI - I assume that you cannot so far connect from the new UI also, correct?

I cannot login using the new ui tried chrom fox ie opera tor so I tried my android phone and it can login with either legacy or new ui. I can login using whatever browser and legacy ui though. but when I use legacy UI I cannot see any services or plugins - that goes for both pc and android. however since I can login using new ui on my android I tried that and I can see all plugins and services - I can activate services but if I try to download a plugin it fails.
The motherboard the nas is using is an asrock J3455-ITX so no ECC but it does have 16gb some random memory the board has on its supported list. And then one WD red 4tb, since I don't really have a use for a nas but I was given the motherboard and I don't know what else to do with it. So I bought the hdd and was hoping to turn into movie storage pretty much. happy wife happy life!

Redcoat

MVP
11.2 Beta 2 is a Beta.

I suggest that you install 11.1 - U5 obtainable from the download tab at the tip of the forum page. At the least that will eliminate the vagaries potentially associated with a Beta vs a truly stable release.

There is still the issue of the Realtek NIC which your board has - Realtek RTL8111GR. Nothing encouraging here or from my Google search about that NIC for use with FreeNAS/FreeBSD.

HAJFAJV

Dabbler
I went to eat and watch a movie after my last post and now when I came back I could see couchpotato from my routers interface assigned to the ip I gave it. Even though it failed to install.
Anyways I'll try the stable version seems like a smart move ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.