So you want to test FC target mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jpaetzel

Well, here's how:

- Grab http://download.freenas.org/nightly/x64/ and upgrade
Code:
# mountrw / && sed -i "" -e 's/\(role\)=2/\1=1/' /boot/loader.conf && mount -ur /

- Create a postinit script that runs /usr/sbin/ctladm port -o on
- In the iSCSI settings check the box for enable experimental target mode. (this will trip a reboot)

When the system comes back up any targets you've set up for iSCSI will show up as FC targets as well. Make sure not to use them via both access methods at the same time!

aufalien

Patron
Beautiful, this plays perfectly in my upcoming SAN expansion project (very soon to start R&D phase), thank you very much JP.

matto

FreeBSD Advocate
iXsystems
Awesome! Thanks for checking this out, Josh ;)

RvdKraats

Dabbler
Awesome! So I can finally use my FC SAN with FreeNAS? (ok, SAN is a big word for 1 switch and three FC hosts ;) )
I might as well convert my DIY FreeBSD10 setup to FreeNAS then :)

RvdKraats

Dabbler
One quick question: does anyone know if FreeNAS will also support Emulex-based FC cards next to the QLogic ones?
I've tried checking the FreeBSD site and i think it's QLogic only, but I'm not 100% sure.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If its not supported in FreeBSD there's no chance it will be supported in FreeNAS. Our drivers come straight from FreeBSD.

RvdKraats

Dabbler
I was afraid of that, I only found some Emulex Ethernet support (Oce driver). Oh well, QLogics HBA's aren't hard to find.
Thanks for the confirmation anyway :)

aufalien

Patron
Hi Josh,

Curious what fibre channel card you have tested this with? I'm having issues and using the Qlogic QLE 2462.

Update;

Got it working, just some silly iSCSI settings is all.

Last edited:

nickm

Cadet
Can someone please provide just a basic walkthrough on how to set up fc-target with freenas? I have followed the basic instructions using this post along with a few i googled, and now see:

[root@micro] /boot# ctladm port -l
Port Online Type Name pp vp WWNN WWPN
0 YES IOCTL CTL ioctl 0 0 0 0
1 YES INTERNAL ctl2cam 0 0 0x5000000c39478300 0x5000000c39478302
2 YES INTERNAL CTL internal 0 0 0 0
3 YES ISCSI iscsi 0 0 0 0
4 YES FC isp0 0 0 0x2000001b3282cac4 0x2100001b3282cac4
5 YES FC isp1 1 0 0x2000001b32a2cac4 0x2101001b32a2cac4

So it seems like my WWNs are coming up, but i'm not sure what to put in to get it to function properly in the iSCSI section. Do we put "wwn.<pwwn>" per initiator, like in solaris? This doesn't seem documented anywhere.

Thank you.

**edit** To clarify, i have a FC infrastructure using a cisco MDS switch in between my target and initiator. If using solaris, i am able to map the initiators to the FC target using COMSTAR, and based on the type of initiator, i put in that prefix. ie: "iqn.<initiator>" for iSCSI or "wwn.<PWWN>" for FC.

Last edited:

aufalien

Patron
Can someone please provide just a basic walkthrough on how to set up fc-target with freenas? I have followed the basic instructions using this post along with a few i googled, and now see:

[root@micro] /boot# ctladm port -l
Port Online Type Name pp vp WWNN WWPN
0 YES IOCTL CTL ioctl 0 0 0 0
1 YES INTERNAL ctl2cam 0 0 0x5000000c39478300 0x5000000c39478302
2 YES INTERNAL CTL internal 0 0 0 0
3 YES ISCSI iscsi 0 0 0 0
4 YES FC isp0 0 0 0x2000001b3282cac4 0x2100001b3282cac4
5 YES FC isp1 1 0 0x2000001b32a2cac4 0x2101001b32a2cac4

So it seems like my WWNs are coming up, but i'm not sure what to put in to get it to function properly in the iSCSI section. Do we put "wwn.<pwwn>" per initiator, like in solaris? This doesn't seem documented anywhere.

Thank you.

Well, all I did was follow the manual in terms of setting up an iSCSI target, no auth etc...

I then followed JPs additional steps to enable FC target mode. So unsure how to guide you as both the manual and this posting by JP say it all.

nickm

Cadet
Well, all I did was follow the manual in terms of setting up an iSCSI target, no auth etc...

I then followed JPs additional steps to enable FC target mode. So unsure how to guide you as both the manual and this posting by JP say it all.
How is your FC infrastructure setup? How do you map which initiator WWN goes to your targets?

aufalien

Patron
Well, I don't map WWNs and all my targets and initiators are connected to a switch.

Forgot to add that this is an XSAN env.

Update;

I've only setup XSANs in terms of SANs, they don't support FCAL and are setup most of the time where all initiators see all targets. So no need to map specific targets/initiators.

Also, my initiator see's my target without an FC switch involved which is what I did to ensure it worked before introducing another variable like a switch into the mix.

Right now I have 8 LUNs via 4 FreeNAS boxes (a LUN per volume, 2 volumes per server), 2 MDCs and about 8 hosts, all OSX 10.9.4 which uses XSAN 3.1.

Last edited:

Dennis.kulmosen

Explorer
Uhh, that sounds interesting. Please report how it works in an XSAN env. when you get it working. I have played with the idea my self but did not had the time set it all up. :-S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aufalien

Patron
Uhh, that sounds interesting. Please report how it works in an XSAN env. when you get it working. I have played with the idea my self but did not had the time set it all up. :-S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm unsure what to report other then it works.

aufalien

Patron
Speed, feel, stability, ease of setup.

In terms of all that, while interesting info, doesn't answer your initial question. Minus the app layer fromage like XSAN etc..., I can see the FreeNAS FC target as a block storage device when directly connected to a workstation via Fibre Channel. If you cannot get this far, then follow the manual on iSCSI exactly, then adding JPs stuff towards the end. Watch the FreeNAS console real time as you connect the fiber cable.

Also ensure you are using a support FC HBA. Mine are Qlogic, ATTO doesn't seem to work.

Gerasim

Dabbler
Hey guys! what else?? i was make target iscsi and load ispfw.ko in kernel... connect freenas fc card to switch, zonning... where i can find fiber storage in esxi? rescan hba does not help...

aufalien

Patron
I didn't have to load any kernel module.

All you have to do is firts ensure your FC HBA is supported and works in FreeNAS.
Set up your iSCSI.
Follow JPs post.

Which HBA do you have?

Gerasim

Dabbler
qlogic ISP2532 8GB FC
iscsi target was configure... but strange it not startup... btw... where fc freenas target must seen?? in fc controllers in esxi as different fc like hp msa 2040 that i'am already use?

than i createportal and chouse i paddres iscsi service can't start in console of freenas write me configuration error... or i am not needed to configure portal?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.