So, you’ve decided to buy a Supermicro X10 board...

So, you’ve decided to buy a Supermicro X10 motherboard…

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Also: in an insanely strange choice of numbering schemes, there is a G3240, *AND* a completely different G3420. As far as I know, the former works, the latter does not? Can anyone confirm?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Also: in an insanely strange choice of numbering schemes, there is a G3240, *AND* a completely different G3420. As far as I know, the former works, the latter does not? Can anyone confirm?

The 3240 is Haswell Refresh, so it'd need a BIOS update. I assume Supermicro included the relevant support on their 2.0 BIOSes, but that's something that needs confirmation. Its main limitation is lack of support for DDR3 1600 - probably the units with a crummy memory controller.

The 3420 is regular Haswell, so it should work out of the box.

nick779

Contributor

marbus90

Guru
And with v2 Haswell Refresh isn't an issue. There is the chance that you can still get a v1.1 board which doesn't run the Refresh CPUs out of the box. You'll have to RMA the board to get the v2 BIOS flashed on there.

Z300M

Guru
The 3240 is Haswell Refresh, so it'd need a BIOS update. I assume Supermicro included the relevant support on their 2.0 BIOSes, but that's something that needs confirmation. Its main limitation is lack of support for DDR3 1600 - probably the units with a crummy memory controller.

The 3420 is regular Haswell, so it should work out of the box.
Yes, Supermicro told me that the ver. 2.0 BIOS supports the Haswell refresh CPUs. I don't have a Haswell refresh CPU, so I've never updated my BIOS from the ver. 1.1 with which it came.

Last edited:

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
I've the refresh version of a Core i3 4360 with the X10SL7-F, no problem whatsoever ;)

coolspot

Cadet
With the X10SL7 you mention:

"To offset the additional cost of the SAS controller, the C222 PCH is employed."

The C222 only has 2 USB ports, 1 is assigned to the internal Type-A header and the other to the Intel USB header.

Does this mean that the Intel USB header only supports 1 front-panel port? I tried connecting the standard cable which had 2 front-panel ports but only one is working. I assume this is a limitation of the C222 and board design?

marbus90

Guru
the X10SL7 only has 2x USB3 ports, one via internal usb port, one via the 19pin connector.

With FreeNAS usb2/3 doesn't matter since the latter is not well supported anyway. if you want reliabe, fast bootmedia, use older SATA SSDs.

coolspot

Cadet
the X10SL7 only has 2x USB3 ports, one via internal usb port, one via the 19pin connector.

I'm trying to verify if my board or case is not defective.

I understand that there are only two headers - a Type A and the 19 pin connector. My issue is with the 19 pin connector.

The 19 pin connector commonly supports 2 (two) USB 3.0 ports - in fact there are plenty of breakout cables that do that. My issue is that only 1 of the two ports is working on the 19 pin connector. Is this because SuperMicro used one of the ports for the Type-A connector and has only wired up 1/2 of the 19 pin connector even tho all the pins are in place?! Confused... :confused:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm trying to verify if my board or case is not defective.

I understand that there are only two headers - a Type A and the 19 pin connector. My issue is with the 19 pin connector.

The 19 pin connector commonly supports 2 (two) USB 3.0 ports - in fact there are plenty of breakout cables that do that. My issue is that only 1 of the two ports is working on the 19 pin connector. Is this because SuperMicro used one of the ports for the Type-A connector and has only wired up 1/2 of the 19 pin connector even tho all the pins are in place?! Confused... :confused:

You'll find two more USB 2.0 headers.

As for the USB 3.0 header, it only has one port. The second is wired to the USB type A port mid-board.

rogerh

Guru
A bit of duct tape over the unconnected case port should simplify things. Or, with a relevant adapter, the case usb3 ports can be connected to the usb2 header.

Harsesis

Explorer
Sorry for posting in this slitly older post but I have a short question about the "bulk" and "retail" differences. You wrote they differ in packaging, but do they also differ in package content? I have no expierience with supermicro, but there comes a lot of stuff with the typical customer boards (like cables etc.), is there any difference in content between "bulk" and "retail"?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sorry for posting in this slitly older post but I have a short question about the "bulk" and "retail" differences. You wrote they differ in packaging, but do they also differ in package content? I have no expierience with supermicro, but there comes a lot of stuff with the typical customer boards (like cables etc.), is there any difference in content between "bulk" and "retail"?
Don't think so. Maybe a printed manual, but don't expect that. My bulk X10SLM+-F came with two mediocre but long SATA cables and the I/O shield.

Z300M

Guru
Don't think so. Maybe a printed manual, but don't expect that. My bulk X10SLM+-F came with two mediocre but long SATA cables and the I/O shield.
My "retail" X10SL7-F came with the I/O shield, 6 x SATA cables, and a quick reference guide. The full manual is available online, and you can print it if you don't care about the trees; I didn't.

Harsesis

Explorer
Ok thank you for your response! Just for the record: I bought my board now as retail and it came with 2 sata cables and the I/O-shild in a simple card-box!

MisterE2002

Patron
I assume the X10SL7-F is using more watts than something like a X10SLL-F.
As i only require 6 sata connections is it possible to disable the LSI controller in the BIOS?
(Both boards are in the same price league)

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I assume the X10SL7-F is using more watts than something like a X10SLL-F.
As i only require 6 sata connections is it possible to disable the LSI controller in the BIOS?
(Both boards are in the same price league)
Not sure how I feel about necromancy on a thread from June, but:

Sir, I was able to find the answer to your question in under 90 seconds by looking at the manual for this motherboard.

http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C222/MNL-1463.pdf

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not sure how I feel about necromancy on a thread from June, but:

Sir, I was able to find the answer to your question in under 90 seconds by looking at the manual for this motherboard.

http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C222/MNL-1463.pdf
I'd say that necromancy is encouraged in threads like this - as long as it brings something new to the table. Don't think that was quite the case here, but let's let it slide. I'll add the 10W estimate to the OP.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Come to think of it, didn't LSI SAS controllers shut down when no drives were attached? I imagine they stop drawing their usual 10ishW...