So I got the nightly, it's awesome (and a minor issue to suggest)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RNC

Cadet
As you can see from the age of my account I've been a FreeNAS user off and on for quite a long time. So firstly, thanks for the great software over the years, it has always been great for me.

I downloaded the latest nightly build and fired it up on Virtualbox, and it's pretty awesome. Admittedly I abandoned FreeBSD entirely about a year ago due to needing some Linux specific things on my NAS (and ZFS coming to Ubuntu), but I figured I would give the new FreeNAS a try.

1) The UI is a vast improvement. The only thing it seems to lack is a "reset defaults" option on every menu in which you can 'do' something.

2) Iocage is a HUGE improvement over Warden. I had not used it before yesterday but I had no problems doing so after reading their docs. Please resist the urge to help people do things that jails don't want to do and keep Iocage 'stock'. Having the option to use the stock Iocage CLI tools is a godsend for jails.

One suggestion (that doesn't really warrant a bug report):

The current jail image is 11.0 whereas the main installation is based on 11.1. Postgresql got some new functions in the 11.1 build that are not present in 11.0. If you try to use the Postgres that pkg will install in that jail on 11.0, it will crash when you try to create a db. It would be nice to get the default jail image up to 11.1-RELEASE before the first beta comes out, lest anyone using Postgresql in a jail find themselves with no working databases. Admittedly, with Iocage this is a minor inconvenience, since Iocage can upgrade the jail to 11.1 with a single command. Did I mention how awesome Iocage is?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You can select the release version at jail creation time and 11.1 is one of the options.

RNC

Cadet
I see that now, it seems that the 11.0 release is on top of it in the list due to a sorting issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.