Snapshots at Same Time as S.M.A.R.T. Tasks?

povgride742

Cadet
Hello everyone,

Is it okay to have a scheduled Snapshot task at the same times as a scheduled S.M.A.R.T. and Scrub tasks?

I have my tasks as follows:
  • Short S.M.A.R.T. - Daily at 12:00am
  • Long S.M.A.R.T. - Saturdays at 1:00am
  • Scrub - Every other Sunday at 2:00am
  • Snapshot 1 - Every hour, kept for 1 week
  • Snapshot 2 - Every day, kept for 1 month
  • Snapshot 3 - Every week, kept for 1 year
As you can see, running a Snapshot hourly will happen at the same times as my short and long S.M.A.R.T. tasks as well as my Scrub task.

Thank you,
Brett

Sapshots? No problem. Creating a snapshot is instantaneous and requires almost zero I/O of your drive(s) in the pool.

Short S.M.A.R.T. selftests? Probably not a problem if it overlaps with a scrub, however, it might be best to find a five-minute window where you can schedule these to run without other competing requests occurring simultaneously.

Long S.M.A.R.T. selftests? Definitely have these run outside of anything else. Outside of typical user activity, scrubs, and replications.

TLDR: You can have snapshots scheduled without any worry about other tasks. :cool: But keep scrubs, replications, and long S.M.A.R.T. selftests away from each other. :wink:

povgride742

Cadet
Sapshots? No problem. Creating a snapshot is instantaneous and requires almost zero I/O of your drive(s) in the pool.

Short S.M.A.R.T. selftests? Probably not a problem if it overlaps with a scrub, however, it might be best to find a five-minute window where you can schedule these to run without other competing requests occurring simultaneously.

Long S.M.A.R.T. selftests? Definitely have these run outside of anything else. Outside of typical user activity, scrubs, and replications.

TLDR: You can have snapshots scheduled without any worry about other tasks. :cool: But keep scrubs, replications, and long S.M.A.R.T. selftests away from each other. :wink:
Sounds like I'm good then. Thank you!