SOLVED smbd uid 0: exited on signal 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well it's time for me to ask for some guidance. Below is the situation and my question is:
Is there any advice to either correct my problem or some troubleshooting I forgot to mention?

First, I only discovered this because I am going to be upgrading my pool from RAID-Z1 to a RAID-Z2 which unfortunately means I will be destroying my current pool so I wanted to save off the data so I can have a fairly quick restoration. The new drive has not shown up yet, probably in 4 days so this gives my time to copy the data and figure out what is going on here. And this is my story...

While trying to copy all my data off my NAS to a computer hard drive I have a failure on Windoze "There is a problem accessing \\FRENAS\Data" and then the file name and it asks me to retry, skip or cancel. Retrying doesn't work but if I skip it, it generally moves on to the next few files before failing on a different file. Sometimes the files are random but they all seem to be of a good size, like over 300MB (just an observation so far).

The other failing indication [and most significant] is on the FreeNAS Console window where I get this for each file failure

Code:
Mar 22 17:04:47 freenas kernel: pid 5572 (smbd), uid 0: exited on signal 6

What I have tried to do to isolate the problem:
0) Did a Google search and a Forums search and didn't find anything that really related to this problem.
1) A few days ago scrub was run without errors, I also finish a second scrub last night with no errors just to ensure something bad didn't happen since the last scrub.
2) I tried a different Windoze computer and had the same results, not the same files though.
3) I rebooted the FreeNAS computer.
4) I turned off AIO under the CIFS setup and rebooted yet again.
5) I turned off my Plugins (grasping at straws).
6) I opened up an SSH window (Putty) and one file I was having no luck copying, I used the 'cp' command and copied the file to a different location in the pool and was able to copy it from Windoze after that.
7) I checked file permissions and they all seemed normal. The dataset is UNIX type with all permissions checked (777) and I forced a recursive setting again but that didn't help.
8) I changed the CIFS protocol to SMB2 (should be the default) and changed it to NT1 using the aux parameter 'max protocol =".

What I am doing right now is, I've added a 2TB drive as a single ZFS volume and am using the 'cp' command to copy all my data to that new drive. This is going to take a long time because the drive will be pretty full once it's done and transfer speed isn't instantaneous.

Once I have obtained a copy of my data I plan to do the following:
1) Run MemTest on the FreeNAS system and I might run Prime95 as well. I don't recall having these problems before I upgraded my RAM from 8GB to 16GB.
2) Once I have all my data backed up, then upgrade to 8.3.1-Release and see if that fixes it. This will be a clean install from the ISO and will knock out either a corrupt boot image or the old version as causing it. I will use a different USB flash drive as well.
3) Remove my Intel NIC and try the MB RealTek NIC, it worked fine in the past.

All this because I ordered another WD Red 2TB drive and I will be changing my pool to RAID-Z2. I couldn't afford all these drives at once but this will be my final configuration for the pool. I plan to add the 2GB swap space for each drive when I build the pool but that is another discussion to have.

One additional problem I just thought of is once I install all six WD Red drives, I don't have a spare SATA port for the drive I placed my data on. I hope my USB to SATA adapter works well with FreeNAS. I know I had a SATA add-on card, maybe I should look to see if I still have it while I wait all day for this copying to be done.

My current system configuration is:
FreeNAS 8.3.0-Release (no tweaking to the system, defaults except for disabling AIO for troubleshooting and routine basic setup like defining network, users, timezone, etc...) w/MiniDLNA Plugin + MiniDLNA Automatic Scan Fix
Gigabyte P45T-ES3G | Intel E8500 (3.2GHz) CPU | 16GB DDR3 RAM
Five WD Red WD20EFRX NAS Hard Drives (RAIDZ1) w/o SWAP Space on any drive.
Adata PD7 USB Flash Drive (4GB) for OS | 1GB Patriot Xporter USB Flash Drive for Scripts & Plugins

One last note, the data I'm copying off is not critical, all my valuable data is duplicated on a second NAS and periodically cut to DVDs. This is mainly movies and backups. It just makes things quicker if I can have all this data on a speedy medium for restoration when I restore the files after I create the RAID-Z2 pool.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I know I had that issue with AIO. Apparently Samba with SMB2 + AIO enabled + Windows Vista+ = this error like crazy. It's in the samba manual that if you plan to use SMB2 you should disable AIO.

But you said you had disabled AIO and it didn't help and you tried NT1(which would have disabled SMB2 so AIO wouldn't have been the problem either) so I don't know what to say.

- - - Updated - - -

You could try changing your CIFS logging to debug or full and reproduce the error and see if it provides any useful information.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Maybe I found the problem. I wasn't able to finish copying my data off the drives, it kept crashing. I went right to MemTest86+ V4.20 and I have RAM problems. I know the RAM is good since I took it from my main computer a few weeks ago and it was fine. I'm sure it's a MB compatibility issue. I am tweaking the memory settings, adding .1 volts (1.50 to 1.60) failed faster. If I am unable to tweak the settings then I will drop back to my old 8GB of RAM but I wasn't looking to do that. If that is my course of action then I can see a new MB and CPU in the future.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Dropped the RAM speed from 1333MHz to 800MHz, so far it's passing but until I have three complete passes I won't hold my breath. If this passes then I'll grab my data, hopefully without errors and then try to bump up the speed if needed, it will depend on my throughput. Reading has always been slower than writing.

EDIT: So it looks like my MB is fine with 4GB sticks so long as they run at DDR3-1066 (533MHz). The RAM is capable of going to DDR3-1600 but that is okay. I have one more pass to complete at 1066 to be happy again and then I should be able to transfer data again. I'm curious if I will take a performance hit or not but if I do, I doubt it will be perceivable.

Status
Not open for further replies.