SMB works FTP stalls and crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike117

Cadet
I have a samba share and a ftp share setup on two drives set in a mirror configuration with encryption.

I am able to copy a 2gb file using a smb share with no problems.
However when I try and copy a file using filezilla ftp or winscp ftp the transfer fails half way through.

Scp transfers work, but are slow 12MB/s

I didnt see anything relevant logged to dmesg

Any ideas would be helpful I'm still new to freenas.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
hardware?
anything in /var/log/messages?
Client machine crashing?
can you ftp to something other than your freenas?

mike117

Cadet
Asrock E3C224D2I
16Gb Ecc KVR16E11/8
Intel i3 4160
Seasonic SSR-360GP
4 - 6Tb WD Reds

Winscp is the client software that is doing the crashing, not the server.
Server is still fully responsive.
Filezilla just hangs and reconnects.
FTP works to another windows machine on the network running filezilla server
As well as to my shared hosting provider hostgator.

Nothing new generated in /var/log/messages when it fails

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What is your dataset configuration? Do you have dedupe or compression enabled? What is your networking like, do you have lagg or some non standard setup?

mike117

Cadet
Currently I opened volume manager.
Gave it a name, clicked encryption, dragged the box to only include two drives, and selected mirror.
After it was created I assigned it a password using the key button at the bottom.
Dedup is disabled by default with lz4 compression.
Under Services -> FTP I changed the path to be /mnt/small
allow local user login and allow transfer resumption then clicked ok
I then create a user mike with a group mike
I change the dataset permissions to have rwe for group mike
I then create a CIFS share from Sharing ->CIFS with the path /mnt/small

I deleted the array and turned off the default lz4 compression and things still hang.

Networking is a basic home network. I have comcast service via a surfboard 6121, connected to a tplink archer c9. Both the freenas box and the computer I'm testing the connection to are hardwired with cat6 cabling.
Shouldn't have any lag. I'm going to re-image the box with a fresh iso.

To make sure something screwy didn't happen in the download I'm using
FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201601181840.iso which has the proper hash of 7c3f194cf3870b6a98ab91c907a054b444723be217760cf3adb0ba876c4a61b3 as confirmed from the website and a python sha256 hash.

I reset factory defaults, formatted the usb freenas was installed on, reinstalled from the iso burned to a dvd plugged in via usb, reconfigured, same issue.

I connected via filezilla ftp on my mabook pro and copied a 2.2gb file over and the transfer hanged. This is in addition to the hanging I'm getting on my windows desktop with a different file.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Can you transfer a small file? Just want to see if it's related to files or load on the system. Ftp should just work no problem it's a simple protocol.

mike117

Cadet
Depends...

I can upload a number of files. But every 700mb-2gb or so filezilla hangs.

So I do a quick connect and abort the previous connection. It then fails to get the directory listing for about a minute and then I can transfer files again.

mike117

Cadet
I installed Windows 8.1 x64 on the box with Filezilla Server using a software mirror of the same two drives. Everything transfers fine. There's something wrong with freenas.

FOUND THE PROBLEM.

I unchecked the box always chroot. When I connected again it told me what folder I was writing to and I discovered I have been writing to my users home directory of /nonexistent. Which means I haven't been transferring files to my datastore but I believe memory instead. I'm confused as to why you set a ftp path when enabling ftp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.