Execute permissions set to false for files transferred over FTP (execute via SMB Share)

Hi, this is my first post. I am quite new to FreeNAS, I've been using it for about 2 months. I've been researching this for the last few days and cannot find an answer. Specs below:

Hardware:
  • Mobo: P5E WS Professional
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme X9650
  • RAM: 8.0 GB DDR2
  • Boot Drive: Lexar 32 GB USB drive
  • Pool Drive: 1x Ironwolf Pro 4TB ST4000NE0025
  • SATA Controller: Intel ICH9R
  • NIC: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet
Version: FreeNAS-11.3-U3.2

I have been unsatisfied with the speed of SMB, especially when transferring large quantities of small files. I decided to set up a FTPS server and it transfers files much faster over both my network and internet. I planned to use SMB for browsing, executing, and copying large files, then use FTP for large numbers of small files and over the internet.

The problem that I'm having is that when I copy files to the NAS via FTP (filezilla) the files have no execute permissions when viewed through my SMB mount. This is a serious problem for me because I will use FTP to send and receive my game directories and must be able to execute the game itself!

Here are my permissions as listed in my FTP service configuration:
1595207866606.png

I would like to continue using SMB, but its performance is too poor for a lot of the tasks that I do. I can covert to iSCSI, but have no experience with it and I'm not sure if I can mount it as a drive in Windows (and I need to be able to). If anyone knows a solution or is willing to help me with my problem, it's very appreciated! :)

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
You can set an inheriting ACL for your SMB user/group (explicit, not owner@ or group@) on the dataset granting either MODIFY or FULL_CONTROL. When new files are added via FTP, the entry will be inherited on new files / directories and access should work normally.