SMB shares can't be seen from Windows 10 after server reboot

rhowell

Cadet
Hi, relative newbie here. I've got a strange issue that I'm hoping someone has seen before, or can offer me some guidance in troubleshooting.

I set up a freenas server about 3 months ago, and have been using it primarily to run a couple of shares on my family's PC's. All of the PC's are windows 10 home.

About a month ago, I rebooted the server for the first time, while installing an update. After reboot, my windows PC's could not find the mapped shares. Looking into it a bit more, I found they could see the server (\\freenas), but they could not see the actual share at all (\\freenas\main-share). Looking at it through explorer, nothing at all shows up under \\freenas. If I went to map network drive instead, it would ask for my credentials (and give me an error if I entered them wrong), but then would say it could not locate the network drive.

I honestly don't recall how I fixed the issue a month ago - a whole lot of rebooting, twiddling with settings, and then changing them back, and eventually it worked again. The final configuration was the same as I started with. I considered it a random gremlin, and forgot about it. Unfortunately, last night the server reset due to a power outage, and the same things is now happening.

An interesting side-note; I also have plex running in a jail on this server, and the plex media pulls from the plex-media share. I can't access the share on my pc, but through the plex ap, I can access and play the media . . . . . ?

Configuration details -
Server - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16GB RAM, running FreeNAS-11.3-U3
Pools:
1 pool (homeshare) consisting of 4 X 4TB HDD's running in Z1
1 pool (mediashare) consisting of 1 X 2TB SSD
Shares:
SMB Share main-share, running on homehare pool - I have included screen captures of the settings and ACL setup for the share
SMB Share plex-media, running on mediashare pool - configuration is identical to main-share
Users:
I have 2 users set up, both members of the PC-Accounts group (the PC-Accounts group has "full control" permissions to the share&pool). A screen capture of one user's config is included below. Both are set up as "Window's accounts", with the email matching the Microsoft account email of that user, and the password matching the windows 10 password. If I change any of this, I get a permissions error in windows when I try to go to freenas - so obviously it's communicating enough to authenticate, it just can't see the shares . . . . . .

Attachments

• main-share ACL.PNG
    main-share ACL.PNG
    43.6 KB · Views: 191
  • Main-share settings.PNG
    Main-share settings.PNG
    40.3 KB · Views: 198
  • Sample user.PNG
    Sample user.PNG
    40.4 KB · Views: 187

rhowell

Cadet
FreeNAS-11.3-U3

Just updated to FreeNAS-11.3-U3.2 - when it rebooted, it fixed the issue again. So it seems a bit random.

rhowell

Cadet
Oh, perfect. When this happened a month ago, neither rebooting or rolling back fixed the issue - it was a combination of some random changes (and maybe the alignment of the stars) that got it working correctly again. The fact that updating to 3.2 immediately corrected it this time, hopefully points to the fixes having worked. I'll post if it happens again!

I did search for known issues before posting, but wasn't able to locate anything. My apologies if it's referenced elsewhere.

Cheers, and thanks!