FreeNas to TrueNAS upgrade and now SMB shares are acting funny

jayecin

Explorer
I recently upgraded from FreeNAS 11.3 to TrueNas 12.0. Since then I have been have been going in circles trying to figure out wtf is going on with my smb shares.

I have a pair of mirrored 8TB drives that I use for Backups, Media, Private Shares etc. Previously all these were working fine with the correct permissions etc. Now some of the shares are doing really weird things.

Issue 1
For example, under /mnt/storage/media is where I keep all my movies, shows, etc and under /mnt/storage/private/ is where user home folders are located. I have my user account, user1. When I try to map a folder or drive on my windows 10 pc to /mnt/storage/media it instead maps it to /mnt/storage/private/user1 private share. I have tested this across multiple W10 PCs and the same thing happens. Whats weird though is that if use file explorer to open \\TrueNasIP\ and it shows me the list of file shares, if I click on my the media share, it shows me all the proper files, folders that I would expect. If i click the folder and map the folder that way, it will work properly in W10 for a few minutes, meaning if I go to This PC -> Network Locations -> Media, it opens the correct location, after a few minutes this seems to change and it goes back to the private share folder.

Issue 2
I have a VM W10 media download server, that I use to download movies, music etc. Previously I had map network drives on this vm to /mnt/storage/media where once a download finished I would transfer it to the media folder. This server has an account user2 that had permissions to the fileshare media, now it cant access it. Constantly gets permission errors when I try to map it. Ive tried removing, re-adding the share, drive, user account etc, no change. I somehow got it working yesterday, but then this morning it stopped working again. Ive verified the ACLs and sharing are all identical to other SMB shares that user2 can access. So for example i have a /mnt/storage/software shared that holds a software repository, i can map and view those folders and files just fine. That share has identical permissions to the media share, but the media share say permission denied.

The only thing different from the media share and the other shares is that the media share has a mount point in the plex server. Source /mnt/storage/media to
/mnt/vm-hosts/iocage/jails/plex/root/media. Plex is working, but ive had several issues now with it also losing access to the media share folder as well. Im about ready to downgrade back to FreeNas...

1606317867460.png

jayecin

Explorer
Known issue. Will be fixed in 12.0-U1. Bug in upstream samba.
Thanks, any eta on that release?

NVM found the date - December 8th 2020

Al Fuller

Dabbler
Do we know whether the smb issue with TrueNAS 12 has been resolved? I recently upgraded from FreeNAS 11.3-U5 to TrueNAS 12, and like the OP find my samba shares not working. It also took out rsync tasks, and even got to the point where I could not get to the server by using its hostname as I had in the past. I have reverted back to FreeNAS 11.3-U5 for the moment, but would prefer to move forward. Any help??

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Do we know whether the smb issue with TrueNAS 12 has been resolved? I recently upgraded from FreeNAS 11.3-U5 to TrueNAS 12, and like the OP find my samba shares not working. It also took out rsync tasks, and even got to the point where I could not get to the server by using its hostname as I had in the past. I have reverted back to FreeNAS 11.3-U5 for the moment, but would prefer to move forward. Any help??
When you upgrade to 12, try enabling the "netbios name server". This particular issue was solved ages ago.

Al Fuller

Dabbler
OK, I will try that when I move this machine back from FreeNAS to TrueNAS. Thanks.