SOLVED SMB share timing out on all but windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingline

Cadet
So I have been running the same setup for a little over 2 years, I updated to 9.10.2 the other day but everything worked fine till yesterday morning.

SYSTEM:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
4 Cores @ 3.39GHz, RAM 31.86GB, HDD 7.28TB x 2, BOOT: 111.79GB x 1

With 1 SMB share allowing guest access.

Well yesterday I woke up and my SMB share was timing out on all devices except Windows machines. I made no configuration changes other than the 9.10.2 update. So I changed to 9.10.1u4 and rebooted still same issue. I downloaded 9.10.1U2 and did a fresh install and imported my config from SEP 2016 (Pulled when I was replacing a bad drive) Still the same issue.

• Rebooted my pfsense router
  • Killed power to my switch
  • power cycled my wireless access points
  • shutdown all devices ( let them sit for a bit without power)
Still the same issue so I said screw it, and deiced that I wanted to test FreeNAS 10...I still have the same issue with FreeNAS 10 (which is an amazing upgrade by the way). But still I can't seem to work out whats has happened to my NAS or my network while I slept. So my current work around was to install a plex Docker and plexconnect for kodi to share media (which works ok but would rather have native) and just work from my windows desktop till its sorted out.

If anyone here might have some advice where to poke around and maybe get this share working again. I did try and have a look at /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf but this is all that was in in

[global]
config backend = registry

joeschmuck

Old Man
You have a bit much going on here. I recommend that you roll back to 9.10.2 or 9.10.1-U4 and start there.

Now could you be a bit more specific as to what isn't working? Telling me all but windoze machines helps a little but I still have no idea what isn't working. For all I know these are all Apple machines which are not working, or maybe just streaming devices you are talking about, and maybe it's only on WiFi?

Be as specific and clear as you can. Remember, we are not there so we have no clue what your network/hardware is like.

Also, can you physically connect your FreeNAS to one of these failing connected devices? Try that, see if it works.

swingline

Cadet
So...I feel really really stupid. I was still trying to troubleshoot so I ran tail -f /var/log/samba4log.smbd and tried connecting to the SMB with one of the machines that was having issues connecting. This was the output ../source3/lib/util_sock.c:1055(get_remote_hostname) matchname failed on 10.0.0.114...... That's when I slapped my forehead.....I changed DNS servers on my pfSense router. Changed it back to what I had before and everything is working again. :( Sorry to post before finishing troubleshooting.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad you figured it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.