Unable to access all SMB shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fil

Dabbler
I haven't changed anything in relation to SMB or Datasets, but I messed around a bit with WebDAV earlier and ultimately ended up turning it off again. No share/user permissions were changed and every time I go to browse any of my shares, it says I have no permission. Everything still seems fine in SSH, my data seems to be all there and the jails/plugins are still working fine. I'm really confused as to what's happened, not even my Public (777) share is browsable any more.

I can still see them all but it's as if my permissions have been revoked. I also tried creating a brand new user and putting it in the same group as me but the same thing happens. I've tried to reapply the same permissions again recursively but nothing (I even rebooted the system), please help :(

I am running 9.10.1-U4 and have been for a while now.

nojohnny101

Wizard
This might not be the most elegant solution (someone might chime in with a better idea), but once when I had permissions problems that I couldn't set straight and the GUI didn't seem to have the power to make things stick (as you alluded to, recursively applied, gives no error, but permissions didn't actually change) and I didn't want to kungfu the crap out of it through the CLI, I ended up creating a new dataset on the same vdev and then moving everything then applying the permissions I wanted and it seemed to work.

I know this ignores finding the cause of your problem but "help with permissions" posts usually get the least amount of attention because they are so complex and so situation specific.

Good luck.

Fil

Dabbler
This might not be the most elegant solution (someone might chime in with a better idea), but once when I had permissions problems that I couldn't set straight and the GUI didn't seem to have the power to make things stick (as you alluded to, recursively applied, gives no error, but permissions didn't actually change) and I didn't want to kungfu the crap out of it through the CLI, I ended up creating a new dataset on the same vdev and then moving everything then applying the permissions I wanted and it seemed to work.

I know this ignores finding the cause of your problem but "help with permissions" posts usually get the least amount of attention because they are so complex and so situation specific.

Good luck.

I tried your suggestion and created a completely new dataset with completely open access. Unfortunately, the same problem still occurs. I'm beginning to think SMB is completely borked in some way since seeming nothing seems to get it work.

Such a shame FreeNAS 10 is still in beta as it would have been a good opportunity to upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.