• Currently using VMware at work? We want to hear from you.

Thinking of making a switch from VMware? We'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback about which hypervisor you have been researching or already using. Click here to vote and share your thoughts! You can vote HERE!

SMB Share Permission via Windows Network Drive (IIS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sectoid

Cadet
I have created a FreeNAS user (userABC). I set the owner of the storage volume I want to share to the userABC. I created an SMB share to that storage volume and I made to sure to choose Windows as the share type.

I am successfully able to map a network drive (W:) on my windows server to the //freenas/share using the userABC account credentials and browser the data.
I setup a IIS Website that points the physical path for the files to the mapped drive. When I attempt to hit that IIS website I receive a permission error trying to access the files. Error is 500.19 - unable to read configuration file

I believe the permission issue is around the IIS service trying to hit the network location instead of my userABC account. I have tried to update various IIS settings and haven't been able to get past these issues.

Any help is appreciated, please be as specific as possible as I have many failed attempts already.

m0nkey_

MVP
What I recall of IIS, your IIS instance needs to run as the user accessing the data or give IUSR_MachineName permission to read/write.

sectoid

Cadet
When you say give the IUSR_MachineName permission to read/write, do you mean to do that inside of FreeNas? I am unable to set the permissions for the any local windows accounts on the Mapped Drive permission interface. It only shows the FREENAS instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.