SMB share migration from 11 to 12, differences in samba settings on old vs new shares

seanm

Guru
I've finally updated from 11.3 to 12.0-U2.1.

I'm updating my own docs, and am comparing the output of testparm -s for samba shares that were originally created in 11.x vs new (test) shares that I've created in 12.0. I've observed a few differences. I'm trying to understand what the new options are, if I want them, and how to update the old shares if appropriate.

1) What happened to the "UNIX extensions" option? I can't find it anywhere in the UI now.

2) Shares newly created with the "multi-user Time Machine" preset doesn't turn on "Use Apple-style Character Encoding" (aka vfs objects = catia and fruit:encoding = native). I'm curious why? Time Machine being Apple-only, you'd think you'd want an "Apple-style" option set to 'on'.

3) Shares newly created with the "multi-user Time Machine" preset turn on shadow_copy_zfs. My old time machine shares have this off. Does this setting matter for time machine?

4) "Durable handles" is 'off' for all my shares created originally in 11.x. All presets I tried in 12.0 seem to set it to 'on'. Samba's own default is also 'on'. I've read the docs on this setting. If my shares are SMB-only, should I turn this 'on' for my pre-existing shares?

5) What is responsible for zfs snapshots being created upon time machine completion? Is it vfs object = tmprotect? Are there are docs for it yet? How can I get these snapshots on time machine shares created in 11.x?

6) The "vfs objects" UI is gone, so how does one change vfs objects now? Manually edit the 'auxiliary parameters'? There are at least 3 issues I see:
a) how do I turn on/off the 'audit' vfs obect?
b) how can I toggle the WORM vfs object? (I sometimes turn it off temporarily to go delete old stuff)
c) how can I turn on the 'tmprotect' vfs object? (see #5 above)

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for any insight!