Default VFS objects disappear if you add auxiliary parameters to shares in TN13-U2

I've noticed this has caught a few people out recently so thought I'd share my findings.

By default in TrueNAS 13-U2 vfs objects are assigned to shares based on selected presets found in the 'Sharing' area. They are also assigned to shares by checking 'Enable Apple SMB2/3 Protocol Extensions' in 'Services/SMB'.

However if you decide to manually add one to the auxiliary parameters of the share then all defaults are lost (except for the Apple Protocol Extensions). As a result if you simply want to add one more object like full_audit then you need to add all the defaults to that line to get something close to default functionality.

My guess is that people assume that when they add an auxiliary parameter its not going to blow away all the defaults and that instead it would just be added alongside them.

It also means that if like me you like to toggle shadow copy on and off when you need to recover files for users you can't simply do it by clicking the checkbox. This has also caused issues with the behaviour of home shares and wanting to have a zfs dataset created upon access due to the fact the user had checked the Apple Protocol Extension box.

I guess this post is a combination of a warning and also a could this / should this be fixed question.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
This is how the smb.conf works in samba. Once you start throwing things into auxiliary parameters all bets are off with hand-holding. Anything you put in there will take precedence over defaults and override them with _very_ few exceptions.

We don't validate (except in very egregious cases) or support auxiliary parameters.

Thanks @anodos that's handy to know.