SOLVED Upgrade to 11-RELEASE broke all my Shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

ian351c

Patron
A funny thing happened on the way to FreeNAS 11-STABLE...

I've been running a FreeNAS 11 Nightly from 4/20/2017 for the last couple of months. I had formerly been running Corral, and decided to reinstall the nightly rather than to try to "downgrade" to 9.10. Anyways, this morning I saw that 11-RELEASE was out and wanted to get to the Stable train, so I installed 11-RELEASE via the command line (to force the updater from the Nightlies train to the Stable train). When the upgrade was completed, I couldn't access any of my SMB shares (though I see them listed). I could map the shares in MacOS, but it complained about not being able to access any files. Windows gave me the same type of message. I did some troubleshooting and some googling but couldn't come up with a smoking gun, so I rolled back to the Nightly. I then tried to upgrade using the 11-RELEASE CD image. But the same thing happened. Since I was expecting trouble this time, I had saved log.smbd and smb4.conf to compare between versions. It turns out, there are some interesting differences between the smb4.conf generated in 11-RELEASE vs the old Nightly I was running. The two major differences I noticed were that the share paths are all quoted now:
path = /shared/directory/on/nas -> path = "/shared/directory/on/nas"
and that my vfs objects for each share had two objects removed:
vfs objects = zfs_space zfsacl streams_xattr aio_pthread ->
vfs objects = streams_xattr aio_pthread

Replacing the missing vfs objects in each share fixed my mounting issue.

Mostly I'm putting this here in case anyone else runs into this.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
A funny thing happened on the way to FreeNAS 11-STABLE...

I've been running a FreeNAS 11 Nightly from 4/20/2017 for the last couple of months. I had formerly been running Corral, and decided to reinstall the nightly rather than to try to "downgrade" to 9.10. Anyways, this morning I saw that 11-RELEASE was out and wanted to get to the Stable train, so I installed 11-RELEASE via the command line (to force the updater from the Nightlies train to the Stable train). When the upgrade was completed, I couldn't access any of my SMB shares (though I see them listed). I could map the shares in MacOS, but it complained about not being able to access any files. Windows gave me the same type of message. I did some troubleshooting and some googling but couldn't come up with a smoking gun, so I rolled back to the Nightly. I then tried to upgrade using the 11-RELEASE CD image. But the same thing happened. Since I was expecting trouble this time, I had saved log.smbd and smb4.conf to compare between versions. It turns out, there are some interesting differences between the smb4.conf generated in 11-RELEASE vs the old Nightly I was running. The two major differences I noticed were that the share paths are all quoted now:
path = /shared/directory/on/nas -> path = "/shared/directory/on/nas"
and that my vfs objects for each share had two objects removed:
vfs objects = zfs_space zfsacl streams_xattr aio_pthread ->
vfs objects = streams_xattr aio_pthread

Replacing the missing vfs objects in each share fixed my mounting issue.

Mostly I'm putting this here in case anyone else runs into this.

The quotes issue was fixing a weird edge-case in some versions of RSAT. The default for vfs_objects changed at some point in FN11 development to allow you to disable zfs_space and zfsacl. zfsacl is required for clients to be able to understand your permissions. Weird that they got dropped.

Xelas

Explorer
I had the exact same issue happen, except that it broke only 1 of my 5 shares. I've had 4 of the shares since god-knows-when, and the 5th one, that had this issue, was created more recently. I could well be in the 11.0 days, not sure.

The breakage was also weird - I could read/write to that share from Windows or any Linux cifs client with no problem, but I was unable to view or change any permissions on that share. Trying to change permissions would coredump smb. Copying files directly between that share and any other share would also coredump smb, but copying any file to any client, then copying it over to a share worked fine.

Here's the full thread on this:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/unable-to-manage-permissions-on-samba-share.59974/

Status
Not open for further replies.