SMB Logging

stig.j

Cadet
Hi Gang.
Im sure this question have been asked and answered a bunch of time, but i were simply not able to get it working from the posts ive read so far, so let me start from the beginning here.

I have some datasets, that i want to share for windows clients..
For each share i have created two matching groups, one read and one write.

then i have created a truenas user. added that user to the proper group.. (one for starters)

Then from windows i access the share like \\truenas\sharename.. and it ask me for credentials, as expected - or even i try map drive using different creds.

But it seems im not able to logon.

Ive searched for where the log files are -
so far i have seen that it could be
/var/log/messages
/var/log/samba4/log.smbd
/var/log/samba4/auth_audit.log

but none of these file include the logon attempt.

ive tried to add "log level = 1, auth_audit:5" in the aux param for smb service, but that didnt make much of a change, still not able to see the logon attempt.

If i enable "guest access" on the share, then window clients are able to see the contant of each shared folder, but thats not what i want.

When i created the dataset i chose SMB instead of generic, to get some setup from the start, however when setting up the shares, the last entry in the "file permission acl" ihave changed from "builtin_users" to my write group, and then i added a new acl entry for the read group..

So my question is where do i find the authentication logs for samba, so i can try to dig further where the problem might be (i dont think its a user problem, as i can use that user to do ssh ect)

stig.j

Cadet
Yes, but as i wrote, have have already checked /var/log/messages - i ran a tail -f, but no new entries came up when i tried to logon to a samba share from a win10 client.

Redcoat

MVP
Are you trying to log on the the SMB share(s) using the root user account? If so, that's not allowed since the intro of TrueNAS 12.0.

I don't know the answer to your logging question.

stig.j

Cadet
No, its a separate account, eventually i have have one account for each user and each system, but i need to get the security sorted first, so not every one have access to every thing.