SMB and Kerberos support, NTLMv2 used instead

trekgalaxy

Cadet
Hello,

I have a TrueNAS-12.0-U5 system joined to our AD domain. Our primary use of the system is IT department network shares for data archival and software installs, we share this data via SMB shares from the TrueNAS and use AD groups for the permissions.

Recently I began testing the AD "Protected Users" group, basically the key thing this does is prevent the use of NTLM (and v2) and to use Kerberos instead. Prior to adding our high privileged administration accounts to this group access worked, and access still does work for accounts NOT in the "Protected Users" group.

My question: What do I need to do to allow Kerberos, instead of NTLMv2, to be used for authentication for SMB shares from Windows 10 workstations?

Here is a log entry showing that NTLM is being used: /samba4/auth_audit.log.old

Code:
{"timestamp": "2021-08-11T11:58:58.030443-0500", "type": "Authentication", "Authentication": {"version": {"major": 1, "minor": 2}, "eventId": 4624, "logonId": "4809f4bf9822f609", "logonType": 3, "status": "NT_STATUS_OK", "localAddress": "unix:", "remoteAddress": "unix:", "serviceDescription": "winbind", "authDescription": "NTLM_AUTH, nss_winbind, 16888", "clientDomain": "DOMAIN", "clientAccount": "dtest", "workstation": "FPS01", "becameAccount": "dtest", "becameDomain": "DOMAIN", "becameSid": "S-1-5-21-1298688581-1013366840-3435715919-62163", "mappedAccount": null, "mappedDomain": null, "netlogonComputer": null, "netlogonTrustAccount": null, "netlogonNegotiateFlags": "0x00000000", "netlogonSecureChannelType": 0, "netlogonTrustAccountSid": null, "passwordType": "NTLMv2", "duration": 226999}}

samba4/log.wb-DOMAIN

Code:
winbind_samlogon_retry_loop: sam_logon returned ACCESS_DENIED. Maybe the DC has Restrict NTLM set or the trust account password was changed and we didn't know it. Killing connections to domain DOMAIN

samba4/log.wb-DOMAIN

Code:
ads_sasl_spnego_gensec_bind(KRB5) failed for ldap/dc04.DOMAIN.CA with user[TRUENAS$] realm[DOMAIN.CA]: Client not found in Kerberos database, fallback to NTLMSSP
ads_sasl_spnego_gensec_bind(NTLMSSP) failed for ldap/dc04.DOMAIN.CA with user[TRUENAS$] realm=[DOMAIN.CA]: Invalid credentials

Note, the below configs have the domain name edited, domain.ca is a placeholder.

/etc/local/smb4.conf

Code:
#
# SMB.CONF(5)           The configuration file for the Samba suite
# $FreeBSD$
#

[global]
        dns proxy = No
        aio max threads = 2
        max log size = 5120
        load printers = No
        printing = bsd