SMB access fails with NT_STATUS_AUTHENTICATION_FIREWALL_FAILED from trusted domain

bobmc

Cadet
I'm having trouble with getting a trusted domain to be able to access my TrueNAS SMB shares (the domain that it is joined to is able to access the shares fine). After spending about a day at the problem and trying various helpful suggestions I've seen archived in the forums I gave up and went home to set up a pristine infrastructure to see if I could recreate the problem, and I recreated it right away. Here's the scenario.

I am running TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1. (I'll not include any hardware details as I think it's not relevant in this topic.) Two domain controllers (both Windows Server 2016 Standard). They are all on the same subnet and there is no firewall anywhere. DNS is set up correctly on the two domain controllers for both domains, a stub zone to the other domain was set up on both to allow the trust to be created, and the TrueNAS server uses the domain controller of DOMA.local for its DNS lookups.
  • domaad is the domain controller for the domain DOMA.LOCAL
  • dombad is the domain controller for the domain DOMB.LOCAL.
  • DOMA has an outgoing trust of DOMB, and it is a selective authentication. I have validated the one-way trust from both sides.
I have joined my TrueNAS server to DOMA.LOCAL with "Allow Trusted Domains" selected. I have also set up a test SMB share on TrueNAS. The Share ACL is Allow Everyone FULL. The Filesystem ACL includes "Group DOMA\domain admins ALLOW Full Control" and "Group DOMB\domain admins ALLOW Full Control".

The output of wbinfo:

Code:
bob@bobstor:~ % wbinfo --trusted-domains --verbose
Domain Name     DNS Domain                                                       Trust Type  Transitive  In   Out
BUILTIN                                                                          Local
BOBSTOR                                                                          Local
DOMA            DOMA.LOCAL                                                       Workstation Yes         No   Yes

So far so good, but I'm not sure why DOMB doesn't appear at all yet.

From domaad.doma.local I can access \\bobstor.doma.local fine; I can enumerate the shares and go into the test share and edit files. From dombad.domb.local if I try to access \\bobstor.doma.local I get the following error:

\\bobstor.doma.local is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The computer you are signing into is protected by an authentication firewall. The specified account is not allowed to authenticate to the computer.

I've looked at the TrueNAS samba source code and the error related to this is NT_STATUS_AUTHENTICATION_FIREWALL_FAILED, and this only occurs in auth_util.c and winbindd_pam.c when attempting to perform a local authentication - not what I think should be happening.

{"timestamp": "2023-04-22T12:33:15.078434+0100", "type": "Authentication", "Authentication": {"version": {"major": 1, "minor": 2}, "eventId": 4625, "logonId": "ac209d1e0532f0a5", "logonType": 3, "status": "NT_STATUS_AUTHENTICATION_FIREWALL_FAILED", "localAddress": "unix:", "remoteAddress": "unix:", "serviceDescription": "winbind", "authDescription": "NTLM_AUTH, nss_winbind, 53698", "clientDomain": "DOMB", "clientAccount": "Administrator", "workstation": "DOMBAD", "becameAccount": "", "becameDomain": "", "becameSid": null, "mappedAccount": null, "mappedDomain": null, "netlogonComputer": null, "netlogonTrustAccount": null, "netlogonNegotiateFlags": "0x00000000", "netlogonSecureChannelType": 0, "netlogonTrustAccountSid": null, "passwordType": "NTLMv2", "duration": 9733}}
{"timestamp": "2023-04-22T12:33:15.079191+0100", "type": "Authentication", "Authentication": {"version": {"major": 1, "minor": 2}, "eventId": 4625, "logonId": "0", "logonType": 3, "status": "NT_STATUS_AUTHENTICATION_FIREWALL_FAILED", "localAddress": "ipv6:2a02:c7f:5d14:1b42:d250:99ff:fec2:b703:445", "remoteAddress": "ipv6:2a02:c7f:5d14:1b42:bd4d:b3ca:25b0:f5e4:58182", "serviceDescription": "SMB2", "authDescription": null, "clientDomain": "DOMB", "clientAccount": "Administrator", "workstation": "DOMBAD", "becameAccount": null, "becameDomain": null, "becameSid": null, "mappedAccount": "Administrator", "mappedDomain": "DOMB", "netlogonComputer": null, "netlogonTrustAccount": null, "netlogonNegotiateFlags": "0x00000000", "netlogonSecureChannelType": 0, "netlogonTrustAccountSid": null, "passwordType": "NTLMv2", "duration": 13249}}
{"timestamp": "2023-04-22T12:33:19.128291+0100", "type": "Authentication", "Authentication": {"version": {"major": 1, "minor": 2}, "eventId": 4625, "logonId": "b7cac5ba7fd8a9fc", "logonType": 3, "status": "NT_STATUS_AUTHENTICATION_FIREWALL_FAILED", "localAddress": "unix:", "remoteAddress": "unix:", "serviceDescription": "winbind", "authDescription": "NTLM_AUTH, nss_winbind, 53698", "clientDomain": "DOMB", "clientAccount": "Administrator", "workstation": "DOMBAD", "becameAccount": "", "becameDomain": "", "becameSid": null, "mappedAccount": null, "mappedDomain": null, "netlogonComputer": null, "netlogonTrustAccount": null, "netlogonNegotiateFlags": "0x00000000", "netlogonSecureChannelType": 0, "netlogonTrustAccountSid": null, "passwordType": "NTLMv2", "duration": 4326}}
{"timestamp": "2023-04-22T12:33:19.128984+0100", "type": "Authentication", "Authentication": {"version": {"major": 1, "minor": 2}, "eventId": 4625, "logonId": "0", "logonType": 3, "status": "NT_STATUS_AUTHENTICATION_FIREWALL_FAILED", "localAddress": "ipv6:2a02:c7f:5d14:1b42:d250:99ff:fec2:b703:445", "remoteAddress": "ipv6:2a02:c7f:5d14:1b42:bd4d:b3ca:25b0:f5e4:58183", "serviceDescription": "SMB2", "authDescription": null, "clientDomain": "DOMB", "clientAccount": "Administrator", "workstation": "DOMBAD", "becameAccount": null, "becameDomain": null, "becameSid": null, "mappedAccount": "Administrator", "mappedDomain": "DOMB", "netlogonComputer": null, "netlogonTrustAccount": null, "netlogonNegotiateFlags": "0x00000000", "netlogonSecureChannelType": 0, "netlogonTrustAccountSid": null, "passwordType": "NTLMv2", "duration": 7878}}
{"timestamp": "2023-04-22T12:33:19.181269+0100", "type": "Authentication", "Authentication": {"version": {"major": 1, "minor": 2}, "eventId": 4625, "logonId": "21240d66c7aba072", "logonType": 3, "status": "NT_STATUS_AUTHENTICATION_FIREWALL_FAILED", "localAddress": "unix:", "remoteAddress": "unix:", "serviceDescription": "winbind", "authDescription": "NTLM_AUTH, nss_winbind, 53698", "clientDomain": "DOMB", "clientAccount": "Administrator", "workstation": "DOMBAD", "becameAccount": "", "becameDomain": "", "becameSid": null, "mappedAccount": null, "mappedDomain": null, "netlogonComputer": null, "netlogonTrustAccount": null, "netlogonNegotiateFlags": "0x00000000", "netlogonSecureChannelType": 0, "netlogonTrustAccountSid": null, "passwordType": "NTLMv2", "duration": 4648}}
{"timestamp": "2023-04-22T12:33:19.181989+0100", "type": "Authentication", "Authentication": {"version": {"major": 1, "minor": 2}, "eventId": 4625, "logonId": "0", "logonType": 3, "status": "NT_STATUS_AUTHENTICATION_FIREWALL_FAILED", "localAddress": "ipv6:2a02:c7f:5d14:1b42:d250:99ff:fec2:b703:445", "remoteAddress": "ipv6:2a02:c7f:5d14:1b42:bd4d:b3ca:25b0:f5e4:58184", "serviceDescription": "SMB2", "authDescription": null, "clientDomain": "DOMB", "clientAccount": "Administrator", "workstation": "DOMBAD", "becameAccount": null, "becameDomain": null, "becameSid": null, "mappedAccount": "Administrator", "mappedDomain": "DOMB", "netlogonComputer": null, "netlogonTrustAccount": null, "netlogonNegotiateFlags": "0x00000000", "netlogonSecureChannelType": 0, "netlogonTrustAccountSid": null, "passwordType": "NTLMv2", "duration": 8342}}
{"timestamp": "2023-04-22T12:33:19.234318+0100", "type": "Authentication", "Authentication": {"version": {"major": 1, "minor": 2}, "eventId": 4625, "logonId": "dc8a1040c0cc501", "logonType": 3, "status": "NT_STATUS_AUTHENTICATION_FIREWALL_FAILED", "localAddress": "unix:", "remoteAddress": "unix:", "serviceDescription": "winbind", "authDescription": "NTLM_AUTH, nss_winbind, 53698", "clientDomain": "DOMB", "clientAccount": "Administrator", "workstation": "DOMBAD", "becameAccount": "", "becameDomain": "", "becameSid": null, "mappedAccount": null, "mappedDomain": null, "netlogonComputer": null, "netlogonTrustAccount": null, "netlogonNegotiateFlags": "0x00000000", "netlogonSecureChannelType": 0, "netlogonTrustAccountSid": null, "passwordType": "NTLMv2", "duration": 4266}}
{"timestamp": "2023-04-22T12:33:19.235013+0100", "type": "Authentication", "Authentication": {"version": {"major": 1, "minor": 2}, "eventId": 4625, "logonId": "0", "logonType": 3, "status": "NT_STATUS_AUTHENTICATION_FIREWALL_FAILED", "localAddress": "ipv6:2a02:c7f:5d14:1b42:d250:99ff:fec2:b703:445", "remoteAddress": "ipv6:2a02:c7f:5d14:1b42:bd4d:b3ca:25b0:f5e4:58185", "serviceDescription": "SMB2", "authDescription": null, "clientDomain": "DOMB", "clientAccount": "Administrator", "workstation": "DOMBAD", "becameAccount": null, "becameDomain": null, "becameSid": null, "mappedAccount": "Administrator", "mappedDomain": "DOMB", "netlogonComputer": null, "netlogonTrustAccount": null, "netlogonNegotiateFlags": "0x00000000", "netlogonSecureChannelType": 0, "netlogonTrustAccountSid": null, "passwordType": "NTLMv2", "duration": 8144}}

The content of my samba configuration is here...
bob@bobstor:/etc/local % cat smb4.conf
#
# SMB.CONF(5) The configuration file for the Samba suite
# $FreeBSD$
#

[global]
dns proxy = No
aio max threads = 2
max log size = 5120
load printers = No
printing = bsd
disable spoolss = Yes
dos filemode = Yes
kernel change notify = No
directory name cache size = 0
server multi channel support = No
nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g
unix charset = UTF-8
log level = 1 auth_json_audit:3@/var/log/samba4/auth_audit.log
obey pam restrictions = True
rpc_daemon:mdssd = disabled
rpc_server:mdssvc = disabled
enable web service discovery = True
logging = file
server min protocol = SMB2_02
unix extensions = No
restrict anonymous = 2
server string = FreeNAS Server
bind interfaces only = Yes
netbios name = bobstor
netbios aliases =
server role = member server
kerberos method = secrets and keytab
workgroup = DOMA
realm = DOMA.LOCAL
security = ADS
local master = No
domain master = No
preferred master = No
winbind cache time = 7200
winbind max domain connections = 10
client ldap sasl wrapping = seal
template shell = /bin/sh
template homedir = /mnt/pool0/home/%D/%U
ads dns update = Yes
allow trusted domains = Yes
winbind enum users = Yes
winbind enum groups = Yes
idmap config DOMA: backend = rid
idmap config DOMA: range = 100000001-200000000
idmap config *: backend = tdb
idmap config *: range = 90000001-100000000
registry shares = yes
include = registry

I've seen some strong advice that I need to set up IDMAP for the trusted domain. The ID ranges that have been selected by the automated domain join in the GUI are as follows:

Code:
LDAP      10_000  90_000_000
TDB   90_000_001 100_000_000
RID  100_000_001 200_000_000

I'm not sure that that is the problem here but I'm willing to try if someone could please describe exactly what I need to do. (Do I need to create LDAP, TDB, and RID mappings all three for DOMB?) Or if anyone knows what else might be up I'm willing to try anything and provide as much detail as requested.

I feel quite convinced that the problems are all down to my configuration on the TrueNAS box, as I can see the packets come in from the DOMB domain controller and the TrueNAS server is flat out rejecting it with the NT_STATUS_AUTHENTICATION_FIREWALL_FAILED responses. For whatever reason samba just doesn't seem to recognise DOMB as a thing. However, that can't quite be true as I was able to add "DOMB\domain admins" to the filesystem ACL!

bobmc

Cadet
I think I've possibly been a bit of an idiot with my trust being "Selective authentication" instead of "Domain-wide authentication". I changed to the latter and suddenly I can access the share from domb.local now, and the output of wbinfo for trusted domains has updated:

Code:
bob@bobstor:/etc/local % wbinfo --trusted-domains --verbose
Domain Name     DNS Domain                                                       Trust Type  Transitive  In   Out 
BUILTIN                                                                          Local
BOBSTOR                                                                          Local
DOMA            DOMA.LOCAL                                                       Workstation Yes         No   Yes 
DOMB            domb.local                                                       Routed (via DOMA)

Similarly if I instead add the Allowed To Authenticate permission on TrueNAS Server's computer object in DOMA.LOCAL (for DOMB\Domain Users) I can access the share also. So, I'm relieved to solve that and I'm happy to know that it was my own incompetence and nothing else.

I think I have just one outstanding question. Do I really need to make configuration changes for IDMAP for the trusted domain (DOMB)? What can go wrong if I do not do that? And what exactly do I need to do to configure that? I would like to get this done right once and then forget about it. :smile: