SMB and FTP

lmaoroot2

Cadet
Hello,

I'm really new to truenas and the whole freenas community and architecture. I was wondering if and how I am able to set up a SMB share and an FTP server that manages the same directory. For example, I want to be able to have network drive-like access in the same network on a different computer, but I want to be able to have access to my files and stuff over the internet as well. How can I do this? Everytime I try, I can get the SMB share working, but the FTP just completely fails. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Redcoat

MVP
Welcome to the forums!

"FTP completely fails" - what are the error messages and/or other indications of failure?

You need to follow the Forum Rules (see on the masthead) and provide the requested information of your system and setup.

lmaoroot2

Cadet
No Problem. I have TrueNAS installed on a 300gb sas 10k raid0 and I have a pool that is a raid 0 of 15 x 300gb sas 10k as well. So a total of about 4tb for my pool.
My Pools
Pools.PNG

I have a dataset within that pool.
Dataset perms.PNG

Here's the user named admin within a group Administrator that has access to the smb share and has an aux group of ftp
users.PNG

Here's my settings for the SMB share
SMB.PNG

Here's my settings for the FTP Server.
FTP.PNG

And finally, The smb share works perfectly, but... the ftp share fails for some odd reason. here's a snip from FileZilla. Obviously, I'm connecting locally, and yes, the ip, port, and the username and password are all correct. I am using the sample TLS certificate that comes with truenas.
filezilla.PNG

Attachments

• Dataset perms.PNG
    Dataset perms.PNG
    30.2 KB · Views: 198

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Depending on SMB configuration, chmod may not be allowed (and such failure may be handled somewhat less than gracefully in proftpd). It may be worth seeing if that's what it's choking on. If it is, the two options are to either configure proftpd to not allow chmod() or to allow chmod at the ZFS level in this circumstance (aclmode = passthrough) with the understanding that the resulting permissions set by the FTP client may not grant your SMB clients adequate access to files.

lmaoroot2

Cadet
So simply disabling chmod and setting the aclmode to passthrough may work but may not? I'll give it a shot. I'll see what happens

lmaoroot2

Cadet
well i set the acl mode to passthrough, but to no avail and im not sure how to assign chmod to disabled.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
The output from FileZilla indicates a wrong password. Have you checked the log files on the server side?

lmaoroot2

Cadet
Yes i have. The username and password are correct. Obviously i can double check it but it should be the same user that has access to the smb share.. which it is. I just checked this eigtht now.

lmaoroot2

Cadet
I believe the problem that I'm having with it is that the user for some reason doesnt get recognized as a member of the ftp group, since its listed as the aux group for it, and therefore, I am not able to log in. But I'm not sure exactly.