smartd_daemon is not running

atrdriver

Dabbler
Just rebuilt by server into a Dell R510 with a Perc H700 controller card. Running version FreeNAS-11.1-U6.3. Getting the warning that smartd is not running. I have already turned off SMART on the USB boot drive, which fixed it in it's old box. And i looked at /var/lov/messages, and the only entry there that has 'smartd' in it says:

smartd[2723]: Configuration file /usr/local/etc/smartd.conf parsed but has no entries

I have searched for whether the H700 passes the SMART data on to the OS, and can't find anything about it. Does that error message mean anything that could allow me to get it running, or am I out of luck for checking SMART data within FreeNAS?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If the ports that the drives were connected to were changed from the 'old system' to this system, you need to go back into the tasks tab and select what drives need to have smart tests run on them.

atrdriver

Dabbler
If the ports that the drives were connected to were changed from the 'old system' to this system, you need to go back into the tasks tab and select what drives need to have smart tests run on them.

I set this up as a "new" server, not importing anything from the old box. However, I did go in and set up a SMART test in the Tasks tab, and after a reboot still have the warning message. When I go back to the messages file in /var/logs/ I have a new instance of that message after the reboot.

Matt_G

Explorer
The Perc H700 is a RAID only card.
It does NOT support any type of non RAID mode.
As a result ZFS doesn't have direct access to the disks and that is why you aren't getting any S.M.A.R.T. data.
Since ZFS needs direct access to the disks and the H700 will not allow that, I would strongly suggest you use another disk controller such as a IBM M1015 or a LSI 9207-8i.
Both of those cards (and others) can be flashed to IT mode which is non RAID.
Once flashed, they are basically an HBA.
That is what ZFS needs to be able to properly manage the disks in the pool.

atrdriver

Dabbler
The Perc H700 is a RAID only card.
It does NOT support any type of non RAID mode.
As a result ZFS doesn't have direct access to the disks and that is why you aren't getting any S.M.A.R.T. data.
Since ZFS needs direct access to the disks and the H700 will not allow that, I would strongly suggest you use another disk controller such as a IBM M1015 or a LSI 9207-8i.
Both of those cards (and others) can be flashed to IT mode which is non RAID.
Once flashed, they are basically an HBA.
That is what ZFS needs to be able to properly manage the disks in the pool.

That's kind of what I was afraid of. Can either on the cards you mentioned be used in the Dell server? It's front plate uses SAS cables (I think) to feed from the controller card. I was using an H200 card in this box until I decided to add some 4TB drives to it, that's why I went back to the H700 card, because it will recognize the larger drives, and I was out of room using the 2TB drives that were in it.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
A quick google search shows that the H200 supports drives larger than 2TB. Your 4TB drives will work just fine with your H200. Why did you think it will not work?

atrdriver

Dabbler
I was told by a person that rebuilds dell servers that the H200 won't see drives larger than 2TB, but the H700 would. That's why I swapped it out. The box originally came with the H700, but I was having issues getting the drives set up so I got the H200 to replace it, with the understanding that I would only be able to use the 2TB drives.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty