SMART tests not running

Octopuss

Patron
I have just noticed the long SMART tests never start despite being scheduled with the builtin rule. I used the monthly one.
When I look into test history, all I can see are short tests.
Any idea what's wrong? Maybe it's a bug?

Octopuss

Patron
Ok so the problem really is what I believe is a bug. I ran the long test manually and the result does indeed show up in the results list.
So what do I do now? Can anyone confirm this bug?

Alecmascot

Guru
Runs fine for me. Long and Short tests schedulesd and run

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
How often are your short tests running?

Octopuss

Patron
Daily, based on the default rule that was already there, I believe.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
That would explain why you don't see long tests showing. The smart tests end up scrolling the long test off the page. Check the smart status right after a long test is scheduled to run and you will likely see it listed.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I doubt there is a bug but it could happen at this late in the game, but you also do not provide what version of software you are running so kind of difficult to say there are any issues.

What day do you have the Long SMART tests scheduled to run? The day after is when you should check it to see if it runs. Also, since you didn't post a screen capture of your settings (what you want and actually configure can easily be wrong, been there myself), just so you know you cannot run a SMART Test when one is already running. For example, if you start a SMART Short test at 00:00 every day and then schedule a SMART Long for 00:00 or 00:01 on any specific day, the long test will not run. I'd say 99% of SMART Short tests are completed within 2 minutes, unless they run into read failure. I like to run a SMART Short test at a given time every day of the week and then a SMART Long test no sooner than 5 minutes later once a week.

Octopuss

Patron
That would explain why you don't see long tests showing. The smart tests end up scrolling the long test off the page. Check the smart status right after a long test is scheduled to run and you will likely see it listed.
That makes no sense, because the results of long test would appear first or last in the list. I mean I checked the results right the morning after it was supposed to run, and nothing.
When I ran the test manually, the result was there right away.

@joeschmuck I always run the latest version of TrueNAS. And I said I have the default tests scheduled. I never changed anything. I don't remember the details. It's probably midnight on the first day of the month. But you might be onto something, I'll check when my brain boots up.

Oh and something that came to my mind - do the SMART tests power cycle disks or not?

P.S. Why is there no setting for 24 hours time format in the GUI? The AM/Pm is confusing as hell. Midnight is both 0:00 and 12:00, omfg.

Alecmascot

Guru
P.S. Why is there no setting for 24 hours time format in the GUI? The AM/Pm is confusing as hell. Midnight is both 0:00 and 12:00, omfg.
System/General - Localisation

Alecmascot

Guru
Oh and something that came to my mind - do the SMART tests power cycle disks or not?
No, they run local to the drive and in the background. The drive continues to functional normally.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
That makes no sense, because the results of long test would appear first or last in the list.
Not if a bunch of short tests had been run since you last checked.
I mean I checked the results right the morning after it was supposed to run, and nothing.
That makes more sense. It does sound like a scheduling conflict as @joeschmuck pointed out.

joeschmuck

Old Man
@joeschmuck I always run the latest version of TrueNAS.
Which version of TrueNAS, Core or Scale? And we should not have to guess what you are running, you should follow the forum rules and tell us if you expect to get assistance.

If you actually want help then you need to provide us the output of your SMART data for one of your drives in question, do not cut anything out, I want to see all of the data. Use 'smartctl -a /dev/ada0' for example and post the output in code tags.

Also, take a screen shot of the entire SMART Tests screen (see my example below) and provide it to us. In reality you should only have a Long and Short unless you wanted to stagger the drives because you are running a heavy use data center, but that is my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.
Screenshot 2022-01-02 190507.png

Providing this data will give us the needed information we need to give you the advice you seek. I'm fairly certain given both of these we can identify the issue.

Octopuss

Patron
It's probably due to both short and long tests being scheduled at the same time by default. I'll know more next month.

joeschmuck

Old Man
It's probably due to both short and long tests being scheduled at the same time by default. I'll know more next month.
I don't recall that SMART tests are scheduled by default, in fact I think you have to set that up after the installation.

Octopuss

Patron
That's possible. It's been months since I installed it. I don't really remember.
Oh and I didn't specify the additional information because I believe I/we found the underlaying problem.