slow spa_sync on reboot following a reboot

nulldragon

Cadet
Hi all.

I've had my freenas box reboot while I was away and I've come back to a screen that gives a message about slow spa_sync.
What exactly is this?

Queue some googling and I've come across this thread
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/slow-spa_sync-on-reboot-following-a-panic.38817/

Which seems to indicate that I should just leave it, So i've done that. but I'm now approaching 2497951 seconds... (29 or so days) and it seems I have no idea how long this will continue for, or any useful information at all on how long it will take, or what percentage its done... other than some figure of 499028 calls, what ever they are.

Any information, or guidance or hints (like the ctrl+t hint) would be greatly appreciated, what is a slow spa_sync? Help!

guglez

Explorer
Hi all.

I've had my freenas box reboot while I was away and I've come back to a screen that gives a message about slow spa_sync.
What exactly is this?

Queue some googling and I've come across this thread
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/slow-spa_sync-on-reboot-following-a-panic.38817/

Which seems to indicate that I should just leave it, So i've done that. but I'm now approaching 2497951 seconds... (29 or so days) and it seems I have no idea how long this will continue for, or any useful information at all on how long it will take, or what percentage its done... other than some figure of 499028 calls, what ever they are.

Any information, or guidance or hints (like the ctrl+t hint) would be greatly appreciated, what is a slow spa_sync? Help!
R u running 11.1? Which hardware do you have?

Отправлено с моего HTC Desire EYE через Tapatalk

nulldragon

Cadet
As far as I can see, I have the following

11-MASTER-201712110432-1

Intel Xeon E3-1220 v5
AB80110 - Crucial 8GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400MHz ECCDIMM Memory
AB86173 - Gigabyte GA-X170-WS ECC LGA1151 ATX Motherboard

Its running the OS on a Intel 600p 128GB 80mm PCIE 3.0 X4 M.2 SSD SSDPEKKW128G7X1
I don't recall what my zpool array is configured as, but It has something like 8 drives varying between 2tb and 3tb each, and had about 80% disk usage before this happened.

Is there anything else I might be able to tell from this screen? I see references to FEOM_RAID5 modules, swap0 and swap1. Or is there any other way to get a shell while this runs?

guglez

Explorer
I had similar issues with 11.1. I booted back into 11.0 and that solved my issue. Which network card do you have?

Отправлено с моего HTC Desire EYE через Tapatalk

nulldragon

Cadet
Just the on board 1gb port
1 of the two Intel® GbE LAN chips (10/100/1000 Mbit)

So do you think its worth waiting, or do I try and boot an older image?

whiskeyjack

Dabbler
I had the exact same problem with the 11.1 release. It started with not being able to access Samba shares anymore. I then tried a reboot, but it warned me not to do so because of an ongoing resilver operation. Half an hour later I tried rebooting again, no warning, but the reboot ended in the slow spa_sync. After waiting a day and trying another (hard) reboot I decided to upgrade to 11.1-U1.

The upgrade triggered another long boot cycle with "doing scan sync txg" but after about 4.5 hours it finished and booted cleanly! :)

Now I'm wondering what caused this and if this will happen again...

amtz83

Cadet
I has the same problem, but my service was critical and I can't wait a lot time, it's information
Virtual Machine
8 RAM
4 CPU
1 8 GB disk (O.S.)
1 20 GB disk (Storage)
What I do was to clone original VM, this allow run this process in original VM, I create a new virtual machine with 1 12 GB disk to O.S., and 1 20 GB disk to storage and the 20 gb cloned disk belong to cloned VM, install freenas os, in the part of Storage select import volume and select cloned disk, its process recover mi information and then expand the disk with the another disk atached, in my case enable nfs service because I use it as a repository, and that's all !!

Sorry for my English