Slow SMB - Lost - Need direction

vexter0944

Dabbler
I ran all of the 10Gbe TCP tuning and it seemed to offer a little bit of help.

Thanks for passing that along. I will definitely go take a look at that. Much appreciated!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I ran all of the 10Gbe TCP tuning and it seemed to offer a little bit of help.

There's definitely some trash in there, but I'll go thru and eyeball it in detail. I'm currently adding SCALE stuff to the 10 Gig tuning resource so it doesn't hurt to have multiple sources. I draw much of my Linux stuff from es.net because they have a history of excellence and correctness, but it can't hurt...

vexter0944

Dabbler
OK - reporting back in with some good news and information for anyone who runs into this thread.
I was doing some more testing/tweaking the other night and was connected to my Windows Emby server while doing the copy and watching the resources. I noticed the disk I was copying to showed 100% - but my rate of copy was still around 465 MB/s. I was like wait up...I bet I'm over running the disk.

See at no time has the issue been with the 10gb iperf testing - which all showed good - but I had assumed my Emby server with its SSDs would be more than enough to handle 10gbe data inbound - but apparently not. The Crucial CT500MX500SSD1 drives I had for both the OS and the cache drive has a max read/write about "Sequential reads/writes up to 560/510 MB/s and random reads/writes up to 95K/90K on all file types" per their specs. Hey those specs look mighty close to where I'm tapping out at my copy from the Truenas server and my Emby server. INTERESTING. AND....I'm showing 100% drive when I'm copying...yup - Crucial SSD disk is getting overrun!

So I ordered a new motherboard - A MSI MPG Z590 - and moved my 16gb of ram, I5 10400 cpu over and picked up 2 of the SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus M2 drives for a OS and Cache drive.

Installed Windows - got all my drivers up, reattached to the Truenas via CIFS/SMB and started a test. Yup - hitting 10gbe now!

So I appreciate everyone's input, help and insight while helping me with this. I'm hoping this thread will help someone troubleshoot faster in the future with my answer here. The point is, while Truenas does need as much RAM as possible, and might need some tweaks to meet your needs - make sure to pay attention to the other 1/2 of the equasion just as much (or more!). I'm a IT vet - been doing I.T. since the late 90's - but I let my assumption on today's hardware get the better of me on this one and learned a lesson around assuming SSDs are as fast as I thought - but 10gbe (and the overhead of getting to the disk as well..) is faster than I gave it credit for.

1676038998870.png

Last edited: