Slow File Transfer Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simmers1974

Dabbler
Hey guys can anyone help me find out why my Freenas system has slow file transfer speeds. At the moment when i transfer a file lets say a 1gb file to or from my nas it transfers at 17mbs at the most and 10mbs from one nas drive to another within my nas. Be gentle as i'm a network novice.

My Nas Specs

FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201601181840
GA-F2A55M-DS2 Main Board
AMD Athlon(tm) X4 750K Quad Core Processor
HyperX Fury White 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-14900C10 1866MHz Dual Channel Kit
TP-LINK TG-3468 Network adapter - PCI Express
Virgin Media super hub 2

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
This thread will become very confusing very quickly if units are not kept straight. For example, MB/s is megabytes per second, while Mb/s is mebagits per second. For best clarity, just write the words out longhand.

You didn't include details of your drives or your pool configuration.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
TP-LINK TG-3468 Network adapter - PCI Express
There's your problem. Piece of crap Realtek controller with Super China Happy Sun Super Quality magnetics.

Simmers1974

Dabbler
Sorry
2 x 4tb WD Red in stripe
1 x 4tb WD Red in stripe

I didn't know the TP-LINK TG-3468 was Realtek , any suggestions on a Intel PCI-E card to buy.

Would a Intel Gigabit CT Desktop network adapter or a HP NC380T PCI Express Dual Port Gigabit Server Adapter be better

Last edited:

gpsguy

The Intel Pro/1000 CT NIC is an excellent choice. About $30 USD.

Dotty

Contributor
Problem with NIC? I though the OP says he also had issues copying from one drive to another within the FreeNAS box.
Does that also goes out of the wire, hit the switch and come back again?

Perhaps asking the specs of the HDDs, the configuration of the pool and advise the OP with some commands that he could run from CLI to check the actual transfer speed of those HDDs (ruling out the LAN) before trashing the Realtek cards.
(You can have a nice lunch with 30 bucks) :smile:
Realtek are not that great, but do we really think Realtek on FreeNAS wont cross 10MB/sec mark?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Realtek are not that great, but do we really think Realtek on FreeNAS wont cross 10MB/sec mark?
I've seen worse from the Realtek RTL8111 series. They really are that bad, held together only by clumsy Windows drivers and consumer apathy.

Dotty

Contributor
I've seen worse from the Realtek RTL8111 series. They really are that bad, held together only by clumsy Windows drivers and consumer apathy.
I see,, well, maybe there is a possibility the NIC is "that" horrible, but what about copying from one disk to another? he said he is having issues with that,, does that involves the NIC?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I see,, well, maybe there is a possibility the NIC is "that" horrible, but what about copying from one disk to another? he said he is having issues with that,, does that involves the NIC?
No, but there's very little to go on.

Technically, your advice is sound. However, the Realtek will become a problem sooner or later and it's a very easy fix, considering there's already a NIC in there that can be easily swapped out for the Intel.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler

Simmers1974

Dabbler
Well i've been copying by wireless with a Killer Wireless-N 1103 in a Gigabyte P15 laptop , didn't think the speed would drop that much but after your post Rob i connected to my network wired and i got 54MB/s. With me having trouble copying files from one share to another i didn think it would drop much but i'm not very network savvy.

Last edited:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
So, 54MB/s isn't saturating gigabit ethernet, but it's probably as good as you're going to get with a Realtek NIC.

When you copy from one share to another, in many cases the traffic has to go both ways on the network. That's not so bad with ethernet because it's full duplex, but with WiFi only one station can talk at a time. In this context, the fact that you saw very roughly half the performance is no surprise.

Dotty

Contributor
Well i've been copying by wireless with a Killer Wireless-N 1103 in a Gigabyte P15 laptop , didn't think the speed would drop that much but after your post Rob i connected to my network wired and i got 54MB/s. With me having trouble copying files from one share to another i didn think it would drop much but i'm not very network savvy.
Hi Simmers, looks like Robert gave you a tip that moved you forward a bit.

Your 54MB/sec looks ok, thats about the max you will ever get on Gigabit LAN if you re copying from one share to another, using your laptop connected via ethernet wire, (assuming your ethernet is Gigabit LAN and everything is well on it)

What you did was copying files form one share to another, depending or your situation this is a final test or not, for example, does your users normally work copying files between shares like you tested, or instead they read and write from the FreeNAS to their local PC? if your day to day use is the last case, then you need to focus on that test.

The longer explanation for your 54MB/sec is below.

Lets see if I can elaborate:
By my own experience and by WD RED specs, you should be able to read and write from a single HDD at about 145MB/sec (thats not considering network bottlenecks, SATA controller issues, etc)
What does this mean? it means that if you take two new WD RED HDDs and connect them on a PC (via SATA III port) you could load windows, linux etc on that PC, test read/write from one disk to another and you should see files copying at that speed. Basically a 1GB file should take less than 9 seconds to move from one HDD to another.

Now, if you take those HDDs and put them on a FreeNAS box, you should be able to do the same, read and write (locally, from one HDD to another, no network) at around 145MB/sec.
Next, would you be able to see the same speeds from your laptop, well that depends.

If you test that using Gigabit LAN (like you did, connecting your laptop via ethernet wire), you should expect max speed of 125MB/sec (thats the maximum you can do over regular Gigabit LAN).
Remember, all this as long as you are copying from the FreeNAS to your laptop or the other way around AND as long as you have a fast HDD on your laptop as well, because if you have a slow HDD on the laptop, then the file transfer speed will be limited by that HDD on the laptop, correct?
So, make sure you have a laptop with an SSD if possible, and test the speed of that HDD first (using Crystal Disk Mark or something like that).
Make efforts to get a laptop that can pass 145MB/sec on the sequential test of Crystal Disk Mark, locally, no network involved.

Once you determine you have a laptop with a HDD fast enough, then you trust your test better.

If you test over wireless is a little more difficult to predict your expected file transfer speeds, because there are many standards (A, B, G, N, etc) and they all have different speeds and suffer from interference, noise, etc so you are recommended to benchmark your systems without LAN and with LAN, but when benchmarking using Wi-Fi, you have to start taking the results with a grain of salt and possible involve the Wi-Fi guy so you rule out the wireless part some other way.

Now, back to your 54MB/sec:
If you copy between shares, using your laptop, then the data goes from the FreeNAS to your laptop and back to the FreeNAS, so your network connectivity matters as well, and in the best of the cases you will see Gigabit speeds cut by half, because you are using the same wire to read the date AND write the data, thats why I said at the beginning of this post that your 54MB/sec looks ok (thats around 125MB/sec divided by two, minus the overhead of the LAN, OS and such), but only if you are copying from the FreeNAS to the FreeNAS, using your laptop.
If that is what your users will do all the time, then no more tests are needed, but if your users copy from the FreeNAS to the PCs or the other way around, then I suggest you test as explained before, testing first the speed of the laptop and copy files between that and the FreeNAS.

Last edited:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
you will see Gigabit speeds cut by half, because you are using the same wire to read the date AND write the data
Um, I don't think so. Above I pointed out that Ethernet (strictly speaking, 10BASE-T or later, according to Wikipedia) should operate in full-duplex mode, which means a station can read and write simultaneously without collisions. It is possible to force it into half-duplex mode, either deliberately or by mistake (e.g. bad cable), but I doubt that's an issue here. More likely there's another bottleneck.

Dotty

Contributor
Um, I don't think so. Above I pointed out that Ethernet (strictly speaking, 10BASE-T or later, according to Wikipedia) should operate in full-duplex mode, which means a station can read and write simultaneously without collisions. It is possible to force it into half-duplex mode, either deliberately or by mistake (e.g. bad cable), but I doubt that's an issue here. More likely there's another bottleneck.
Yes, I think you are right, full duplex, theoretically 2Gbits , so he should be able to get more than those 54Mb/sec copying from one share to another, with his laptop in the middle.
Now, for all practical purposes, I just tested it, with two FreeNAS boxes (each of them with pools benchmarked at over 400MB/sec) connected to Gbit LAN and my PC in the middle (using SSD benchmarked at over 500MB/sec) .
Between my PC and each of the FreeNAS over Gbit LAN 130MB/sec on 1 GB file.
Between the two FreeNAS (my PC doing the transfer), 60MB/sec
so?
Back to my books and Wireshark. :smile: , homework for the weekend.
Thanks for refreshing my memory though.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Simmers1974

Dabbler
I've ordered an Intel nic for my nas to see if I get better results. I'm quite new with freenas and networking is my strong suit.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.