Slow copy from mac pro to FreeNAS

bigjiggity

Dabbler
slow copy from mac to freenas
renderTimingPixel.png

########### CONFIG #######################
i5/32GB ram/perc6 hba (passthrough)/usb key boot/240GB x2 (ZIL/L2arc)
Dell MD1000 2TB HGST 7200 SATA x 15
3 zvols, 5 disk per vol, raid-z2, striped, 1 pool
#########################################
created SMB and AFP share and attempted to copy ~666GB of raw photo's over to the share (not at the same time, indipendently tested each protocol). and the copy is insanely slow, ran fine for the first say 15 min. and then fell on it's face. RAM/CPU/L2arc all seem to be good and running as expected... you can see the attached graph screenshot where the disk just falls on it's face, and it's picked back up, but the est. time to completetion went from like 8hr. to over 24hr.

Network seems fine, both systems are plugged into 1GBe ports on same switch. iperf reports good connection bidirectionally.

Client connecting to 192.168.1.100, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 129 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[ 5] local 192.168.1.8 port 59638 connected with 192.168.1.100 port 5001
[ 6] local 192.168.1.8 port 5001 connected with 192.168.1.100 port 26912
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 5] 0.0-10.0 sec 1023 MBytes 858 Mbits/sec
[ 6] 0.0-10.0 sec 800 MBytes 670 Mbits/sec

see graphs for other stats comming from freeNAS. someone with a bigger brain please explain what I am missing.
thanks!
Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 6.22.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 6.44.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 6.27.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 6.22.45 AM.png

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Left out was the actual transfer speed... what is it? Mac OS can be wildly optimistic re: transfer time. If I'm doing the math right, I get ~8MB/s, which is admittedly very low. The initial speed of ~24MB/s also seems low given the format being used (large media files).

Are the the ZIL and L2ARC on a SSD? If so, what is the type? I wonder because the ZIL is very sensitive to write speeds under sustained use. There is a reason that Intel can charge the wild prices for Optane that it does...

Another advice I have seen here is trying the same transfers with sync=disabled to see what the raw write speed is. If the speed pops up to the level I would expect (i.e. somewhere around 100-120MB/s) then that suggests a configuration / ZIL / etc. issue.

My system with a single VDEV and a Z3 configuration manages about 120-170MB/s with large continuous writes. This is expected as each VDEV pretty much behaves like a single hard drive. So, your 3 VDEV system should be easily capable of saturating a gigabit connection.

bigjiggity

Dabbler
Left out was the actual transfer speed... what is it? Mac OS can be wildly optimistic re: transfer time. If I'm doing the math right, I get ~8MB/s, which is admittedly very low. The initial speed of ~24MB/s also seems low given the format being used (large media files).

Are the the ZIL and L2ARC on a SSD? If so, what is the type? I wonder because the ZIL is very sensitive to write speeds under sustained use. There is a reason that Intel can charge the wild prices for Optane that it does...

Another advice I have seen here is trying the same transfers with sync=disabled to see what the raw write speed is. If the speed pops up to the level I would expect (i.e. somewhere around 100-120MB/s) then that suggests a configuration / ZIL / etc. issue.

My system with a single VDEV and a Z3 configuration manages about 120-170MB/s with large continuous writes. This is expected as each VDEV pretty much behaves like a single hard drive. So, your 3 VDEV system should be easily capable of saturating a gigabit connection.

the derp is real....
Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 8.53.39 AM.png

zil/l2arc are both ssd - nothing special though, Sandisk 240GB. - where do i set the sync=disabled setting?

bigjiggity

Dabbler
These were run from my mac on the mounted volume.

Code:
**Sync Off**

[/Volumes/storage-1:]dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=1024 count=500000
500000+0 records in
500000+0 records out
512000000 bytes transferred in 7.855533 secs (65176991 bytes/sec)
----------------------------------------------------
[/Volumes/storage-1:]dd if=testfile of=/dev/zero bs=1024 count=500000
500000+0 records in
500000+0 records out
512000000 bytes transferred in 6.287553 secs (81430724 bytes/sec)

** Sync Always**
[/Volumes/storage-1:]dd if=testfi/dev/zero of=testfile24 count=500000
500000+0 records in
500000+0 records out
512000000 bytes transferred in 6.475153 secs (79071488 bytes/sec)
----------------------------------------------------
[/Volumes/storage-1:]dd if=/dev/ztestfile of=/dev/zero24 count=500000
500000+0 records in
500000+0 records out
512000000 bytes transferred in 6.239406 secs (82059095 bytes/sec)

sretalla