Slow boot and access

Snake3y3s

Explorer
My FreeNAS server has all of a sudden started to respond extremely slugish. (see signature for specs and info)
Booting takes a good 20 to 30 minutes before it is up. Plex server does not start immediately (like it used to) and when I can eventually load up plex, the posters load extremely slowly, and most of the video files fail to play.

Does anyone know what I could look at to try find the reason? There seems to be no load on the CPU or RAM, the capacity is no where near full (think its only around 30%)

Could it be that the USB thumb drive that FreeNAS is installed onto is on its way out?
I had Yorick helping me on another thread a while ago, and he suggested that I get away from the USB thumb drive ASAP and rather use a SSD with a USB to SATA converter. I have been trying to ask him for some more assistance, but he seems to be away so decided to post a new thread for help.

Yorick also mentioned that I should look into Boot Environments and Snapshots. I did a snapshot and in this current case I dont think i need to bother with boot environments on the USB stick.

so... as solution number 1 (if there are no other tests or things I can try to figure out whats going on) would be to pull out the USB drive, plug in a SSD, re-install 11.0-U4 (my current FreeNAS OS) onto the SSD, then re-load my saved config and see if speed comes back.
Should I unplug my storage drives while doing the fresh install? then Load the config and then plug the drives back in or the other way around? will it be safer just to leave the drives plugged in?

I have not done anything to the server, so I'm failing to see what could cause the sudden slowdown.
Any and all help appreciated

Is your system the same as your signature?

Snake3y3s

Explorer
yes it is.
It has been fine up until a few days ago

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Get a quality SSD with a USB adapter and go ahead with your plan. That will most probably fix things. If you feel more safe to pull the HDDs during install, do so. Just pull them out half an inch or so. You can push them back in before you restore the config and import the pool.