Procedure to replace bad boot USB key

Status
Not open for further replies.
We use FreeNAS 9.3. We are receiving messages that the boot key may be bad. I want to replace the boot USB key with a new one and have a question about the procedure. We have a backup configuration file.

I will create a new USB with the latest version of FreeNAS. My question is how to load the configuration file onto the new boot key:

Can I boot into FreeNAS using my own PC and then load the config file ?
or
Do I need to go to the real FreeNAS server, boot into FreeNAS, then load the config file?

If I need to use the real FreeNAS server, can I load the config file onto the boot key and read from it there?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Just boot on the real server and upload your config with the web GUI.

Bidule0hm

You upload it from another PC on the web GUI, like you upload a file on your email client to attach it to an email.

You upload it from another PC on the web GUI, like you upload a file on your email client to attach it to an email.

Sorry to be thick about this:

When I first boot from the new USB key, will the server know its IP address? Or do I need to configure the IP address information before I attempt to access it from the web GUI?

Bidule0hm

It depends. If you can't reach the web GUI then configure the IP directly by using the server console.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Default setting is DHCP on all interfaces, so the server should be accessible. Check your DHCP server's log and look for the server's MAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.