Slow boot after FreeNAS-9.10.2-U2 (e1497f2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

madtulip

Explorer
Hello.

The last stable version that works for me is "FreeNAS-9.10.2-U2 (e1497f2)". Everything after that, including the other train FreeNAS 11.0-RC4 shows the following behavior.:

Ive got a monitor connected and all that text that runs down the screen right after boot is displayed with about 1 character ever 2 or 3 seconds. So boot basically doesn't finish in the first few ... hours? I didnt test how long it would take, given the amount of text.

I couldn't google a similar problem, has someone encountered this behavior? So far i keep running the old "FreeNAS-9.10.2-U2 (e1497f2)". It should be related to the very next update after that build.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Please post your system specs. And if you are using a USB Flash drive as your boot device, if it's slow then it could take some time to upgrade the files but it shouldn't take hours. I would replace the USB flash drive with a new one, perform a clean install and then restore your 9.10.2-U2 configuration file.

Good Luck.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I've heard of this before. Make sure your serial port is turned off, and also, try unplugging any keyboard or mouse you have plugged in to the server. I know it sounds stupid. Just try it.

madtulip

Explorer
DrKK got it right - as usual. Deactivating the serial port (on a Asus P8P67) did fix it. My interpretation is that the console out was also routed to serial out which was not able to display much more than 0.25 Baud - my grandmother types faster. Whats wrong with the driver for this cutting edge technology is from 1972 ? In case someone gets to google my MB an notices "no ECC RAM" i wanted to attach this picture of my setup right away to calm things down :). (please excuse the inconvenience that, i didnt rotate it 90° clockwise)
http://imgur.com/a/pni4L

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
DrKK got it right - as usual. Deactivating the serial port (on a Asus P8P67) did fix it. My interpretation is that the console out was also routed to serial out which was not able to display much more than 0.25 Baud - my grandmother types faster. Whats wrong with the driver for this cutting edge technology is from 1972 ? In case someone gets to google my MB an notices "no ECC RAM" i wanted to attach this picture of my setup right away to calm things down :). (please excuse the inconvenience that, i didnt rotate it 90° clockwise)
http://imgur.com/a/pni4L
Glad I could be of assistance sir.

What happens is the user inadvertently activates the "serial console" in the system->advanced (or wherever it is, I can't remember), and then they have this nightmare scenario. I think if there is no actual serial console there, each piece of data sent through takes like a second to error out, and I think that's the issue. Dunno. Something to do with the serial port and serial console.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
0.25 Baud
You could do that with a signal fire...

You literally get better bandwidth from the edge of our solar system (Sure, you need absolutely massive antennas and insanely cold receivers, but if it weren't for the latency, you could run SSH to Pluto. And power budget on Pluto, don't want to waste power decrypting and encrypting if most of the power is being used to transmit back to Earth...).

Status
Not open for further replies.