Dual boot USB results in 'GRUB' and stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wouter

Dabbler
Dear all,
I was running FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 in a dual boot USB setup. I upgraded to FreeNAS-9.10.2-U2 (e1497f2) using the command line. Upgrade went fine, but after the reboot I only saw "GRUB" in my (monitor attached) screen. In my understanding, it wouldn't matter if I boot from da0 or da1. So, I used the BIOS option to boot from one of them, again the "GRUB" line and nothing more. After another reboot I chose the other USB drive in BIOS and FreeNAS boots correctly.

Is this normal behavior? I don't think so, because the two USB drives are there for redundancy (I think). Please see 'boot status' attachment. And if not, how to make them both identical?

Attachments

• Photo-2017-03-12-07-55-29_0116.JPG
    Photo-2017-03-12-07-55-29_0116.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 221
  • S.png
    S.png
    5 KB · Views: 251

Redcoat

MVP
Dear all,
I was running FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 in a dual boot USB setup. I upgraded to FreeNAS-9.10.2-U2 (e1497f2) using the command line. Upgrade went fine, but after the reboot I only saw "GRUB" in my (monitor attached) screen. In my understanding, it wouldn't matter if I boot from da0 or da1. So, I used the BIOS option to boot from one of them, again the "GRUB" line and nothing more. After another reboot I chose the other USB drive in BIOS and FreeNAS boots correctly.

Is this normal behavior? I don't think so, because the two USB drives are there for redundancy (I think). Please see 'boot status' attachment. And if not, how to make them both identical?

That is the normal behavior - there is no "failover redundancy". Search the forum for "Boot USB" or similar terms and you will find many postings on the topics of managing the mirrored boot drives, USB stick life, and related aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.