Skeptical Config, but checks most of the boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shreeyash

Cadet
Hi, I've been a long time FreeNAS user, and the forums have helped me a lot, but only recently felt the need to create a thread in the forum.

I've been looking for parts to upgrade my FreeNAS system for a while now, and have found a very good deal on a combo, could the pros at FreeNAS community please have a look and point out any known bugs/compatibility issues with my config

Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1200 V5
Mobo: Asus E3 Pro Gaming V5 (I know I will be yelled at for not using a server class mobo, but it has the C236 Chipset and supports ECC ram, downside my power usage will be higher)
RAM: Kingston DDR4 ECC Unbuffered 8GBx4 = 32GB
HDD: Existing pool, 3xHGST 2TB Enterprise grade drives in zfs1

I realise the mobo doesnt have onboard graphics, but nothing that a temp graphics card cant do, since the server is intended to be headless anyway

Should this work?

Edit: The reason for choosing the above mentioned motherboard is because i'm getting a very good (almost too good to be true) combo deal on the above config

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
While this should work, I would at least question if the system can operate without a video card. Sure you can install one temporarily and setup everything but once all setup, will it function if you remove that card? Also, I'd likely just buy the cheapest video card you can find and leave it installed. You never know when you will need to connect up a monitor while the system is running.

Also the MB looks to have the Intel C232 Chipset, not the C236 Chipset. Not a big deal so long as you know what you are getting.

If you are buying a used system, you should run all the burn-in tests to ensure everything works solid. Make sure you download a copy of the user manual from ASUS and read it cover to cover, understand what you are getting and ensure it meets your physical needs.

Like I said, this should work, it's just not the most common platform for a server.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Edit: The reason for choosing the above mentioned motherboard is because i'm getting a very good (almost too good to be true) combo deal on the above config
It's your cash to bet.

RAM: Kingston DDR4 ECC Unbuffered 8GBx4 = 32GB
You definitely want two 16GB DIMMs instead.

Glorious1

Guru
Assuming that motherboard does not have IPMI/KVM. I would never in a million years get a server board without that, but it sounds like you know what you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.