Upgrade from my initial (trial) build

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris crude

Patron
I have run a trial build of FreeNAS with no issues for the last 8-10 months on hardware that is outdated and breaks the rules of best practices. Although slow, my Core 2 q9450 CPU with X38 mobo, 5x2TB HDD, 8GB non ECC RAM, and old SSD for boot drive has worked fine for backups of my home PCs. I didn't totally ignore best practices, I did put in a dual Intel NIC instead of fighting with on board Realtek so that's something right? HAHA, anyway I am making the leap to a proper system so i can use ECC RAM and move my Plex Server from a Windows10 machine to the FreeNAS.

Mobo=Supermicro X11SSM-F-O (want 8 SATA)
CPU= Xeon E3-1240 v5 (more than i need but futureproof)
RAM= 2xSamsung M391A2K43BB1-CPB 16GB DDR4-2133 ECC Un-Buffer LP Server Memory

Reading the forums, I plan to just move all my drives over to the new build and change my network settings. Is there anything else I am forgetting or in the "nice to have" category?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

chris crude

Patron
Back up your config just in case.

Yes I have a config backup from a few months ago. Although no settings have changed, only data in the CIFS shared pool, I will do another backup for "just in case". Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
A full backup is a good idea, but the suggestion was to back up the FreeNAS configuration data. That can be done under System on the General tab with Save Config. Save that file, then make a copy of it for safety. It can be restored on the new NAS to move all your settings over.

chris crude

Patron
A full backup is a good idea, but the suggestion was to back up the FreeNAS configuration data. That can be done under System on the General tab with Save Config. Save that file, then make a copy of it for safety. It can be restored on the new NAS to move all your settings over.
Yes, config backup is what i meant since Skyline65 brought up the subject. I will edit the post for clarity.

skyline65

Explorer
Don’t do what I did... I decided to replace my SSD drive with a better one and erased the old SSD knowing I had the config backed up. I forgot that all my custom scripts were on the SSD boot drive I had just erased! Luckily my other FreeNAS server had the same scripts installed so I could just copy them.

There are some good scripts to auto backup your config file!

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/scripts-to-report-smart-zpool-and-ups-status-hdd-cpu-t°-hdd-identification-and-backup-the-config.27365/

Stux modified the original script on page 21

Last edited by a moderator:

chris crude

Patron
Aside from reading threads to see how to set them up, I haven't really messed with custom scripts yet. I have a GED in network management (2yr degree) but don't work in the field so while CLI doesn't scare me, i still need to study more to make sure i don't break anything. I have printed a list of common CLI commands for FreeNas/BSD so that's a start i guess.

skyline65

Explorer
The scripts are pretty easy... even I can do it and I dont really know anything about Scripts, CLI, Python etc.. I have just bought my first book to try and work out what it all means.

chris crude

Patron
Well i have the mobo in hand. Wife asked me what i wanted for Christmas so i gave her a link for the RAM. I will get the CPU soon. I am off work from December23-January2 so thats when i will do my build.

chris crude

Patron
CPU delivered soon. Timeline for the build is on track.

chris crude

Patron
I took everything out of my cooler master case except for hard drives and power supply. Cleaned up some cobwebs and dust, then installed new hardware. Used MemTest on Ram for 4 passes (about 12 hour) with no errors, then connected boot SSD. Setup network address at boot menu, and once i verified access i set that IP as static on my router. Then i added my 5x2TB data drives and everything just worked without issues, didn't need my saved config file. Cant wait for FreeNas 10 to be ready for prime time so i can use the new gear with some VMs and Plex server.

Status
Not open for further replies.